Join for free
Page 12 of 57 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2021, 12:37 AM

Re: Coronavirus: Third wave will 'wash up on our shores', warns Johnson

The third wave may well be a long way offshore and never build up to more than a surge but the daily infections show no sign of declining:

A further 2,874 confirmed cases in the UK were announced by the government on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274

Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 01:11 AM

People in "Indian variant" surge areas warned 'stay local'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57232728

The government has advised people not to travel into and out of areas hardest hit by the Indian variant of Covid-19 unless necessary, it has emerged.

Health officials said it was spreading fastest in Bolton, Blackburn, Kirklees, Bedford, Burnley, Leicester, Hounslow and North Tyneside. Bolton in Greater Manchester recorded 451 cases per 100,000 people in the week to 20 May, the highest in England. People living in the affected areas are also asked not to meet indoors.

On Friday, the government issued guidance on its website where it recommended those living in the listed areas:
  • Meet outside rather than inside where possible
  • Keep two metres apart from people who you do not live with (unless you have formed a support bubble with them), this includes friends and family you don't live with
  • Avoid travelling in and out of affected areas unless it is essential, for example for work (if you cannot work from home) or education
The guidance appears to have been updated on Friday, without any government announcement, to include the eight affected areas - although it was first given earlier in the month for Blackburn and Bolton.

A televised Downing Street briefing on Wednesday focused heavily on the Indian variant - but did not outline any specific rules or guidance for those areas.
Layla Moran, who chairs the all-party parliamentary group on coronavirus, said this risked causing "confusion and uncertainty".

She said: "This is a major change to policy that will have a huge impact on people's lives. Simply updating the government website without an official announcement is a recipe for confusion and uncertainty. Local people and public health leaders in these areas need urgent clarity from the government. Matt Hancock must come before Parliament and make a public statement to explain these new rules. It seems crucial lessons have still not been learnt about the importance of clear messaging during a pandemic."
Obfuscation, prevarication, procrastination (or as Eton scholars would say "Obfuscation, praevaricationis, consules mora exacerbaverant") is the motto for BJ's "Guide for Cabinet Members" .....
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:03 AM

I'm in kirklees . I cant help but notice all these hotshots are heavily populated Muslim area mine 8ncluded. I wonder if many of them aren't getting vaccinated? Is this the beginning of another wave. I hope not
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I'm in kirklees . I cant help but notice all these hotshots are heavily populated Muslim area mine 8ncluded. I wonder if many of them aren't getting vaccinated? Is this the beginning of another wave. I hope not
Well if the vaccines are as good as they say they are Lion Queen, your area might not be so heavily populated by muslims in the future...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Strangely, no great infestation in Bradford, though.
Perhaps the Pakistanis don't allow Indians in?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 12:40 PM

Omah, did you see in the news that the new guidance for going to places in England that have high Indian variant cases, had been "quietly" introduced, with no fanfare or announcements. Even the councils themselves were not informed!

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/uk...eight-20670261
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 12:47 PM

I saw that too Pixie, I was listening to what the lib dems had to say...
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

25-05-2021, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Omah, did you see in the news that the new guidance for going to places in England that have high Indian variant cases, had been "quietly" introduced, with no fanfare or announcements. Even the councils themselves were not informed!

https://www.getreading.co.uk/news/uk...eight-20670261
Yes, see my post (above) .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2021, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Yes, see my post (above) .....
Ooops! That's what I get for bustling in and blurting, without reading what was said beforehand. Apologies!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

25-05-2021, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by paula ->
I saw that too Pixie, I was listening to what the lib dems had to say...
And what did they say, Paula? Enquiring minds need to know

Page 12 of 57 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top