Join for free
Danny's Avatar
Danny
Senior Member
Danny is offline
Denver, CO
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 407
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 01:42 PM
1

I am becoming entirely too harsh

Lately, when I go through my morning routine of gathering the news for the day, I use several sources, so I can get facts without the attached political leanings. Part of this is to go on YouTube and look at news broadcast from the past day. Any time COVID is the main subject, the comments are overrun with anti vaccine people, running down the article as scare tactics. So I started leaving comments. If 100 million people in the US are afraid or against the vaccine, then we should send those doses overseas, where people are clamoring for them. This I'm afraid brings out the ugly side of America. Basically the feeling is "we don't want it now, but in case we change our minds we want it available."
There are times when I really hate the mentality of Americans. Right now we are going through a debate about CRT (Critical Race Theory). What bothers me is that the news people went out and asked 100 college graduates. "Who are the authors of CRT? Answer "I don't know." Second question name any of the tenets of CRT. Answer they couldn't, however you're stanchly against it and you don't even know what it is! This is America people believe what their told or what they hear "from their reliable sources(such as my friend on FB). "Talk about herd mentality.
I apologize for the rant I just needed to vent.
Minx's Avatar
Minx
Chatterbox
Minx is offline
South Africa
Joined: Oct 2020
Posts: 5,908
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 01:54 PM
2

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

Itís great that you source your news from various sources to glean a balanced viewpoint.

I think Covid-19 has brought out the worse in all nations around the world clamouring to protect their citizens first and who can really blame them. This pandemic is dreadful.

Regarding CRT - the masses will go with the popular view to fit in. Donít let it get to you. Youíre a good American Danny. I wish there were more of you in the world

Perhaps Thanos had a good idea
Danny's Avatar
Danny
Senior Member
Danny is offline
Denver, CO
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 407
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 02:00 PM
3

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Itís great that you source your news from various sources to glean a balanced viewpoint.

I think Covid-19 has brought out the worse in all nations around the world clamouring to protect their citizens first and who can really blame them. This pandemic is dreadful.

Regarding CRT - the masses will go with the popular view to fit in. Donít let it get to you. Youíre a good American Danny. I wish there were more of you in the world

Perhaps Kronos had a good idea
Thank you Minx. Very much. People might laugh at this, I really don't care, but if I had the means I would move another part of the world. Not because I think they won't have problems too, but because I could leave behind this sense of entitlement that my country seems to enjoy. I would become an Expat in a heartbeat. Second Kronos's idea.
Pixie Knuckles's Avatar
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Pixie Knuckles is offline
Scotland, UK
Joined: Feb 2021
Posts: 5,698
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
21-07-2021, 02:30 PM
4

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

Originally Posted by Danny ->
Thank you Minx. Very much. People might laugh at this, I really don't care, but if I had the means I would move another part of the world. Not because I think they won't have problems too, but because I could leave behind this sense of entitlement that my country seems to enjoy. I would become an Expat in a heartbeat. Second Kronos's idea.
Just picking up on that bit, Danny...I watched a video from a guy in the East Coast (outskirts of NY) complaining a) there was too much rain, and b) If the West Coast thought they were going to pilfer the great lakes for water, they had another thought coming. Apparently it was their fault that they lived in a "desert" and were suffering a drought, and they had no business trying to get water elsewhere! Just such a mean spirited video, I was quite astonished
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Dextrous63 is offline
Manchester, UK
Joined: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,727
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-07-2021, 12:31 AM
5

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

Two points Danny:

1/. The grass is rarely greener on the other side.

2/. Stats are manipulated for too easily to paint whatever picture someone wants to portray. I can think of several problems alone in the phrase "we asked 100 people". I'll list a few of them if you like. But, as it stands, they have shown precisely nothing other than their potential ability to manipulate stats!!
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,218
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-07-2021, 12:49 AM
6

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

Never heard of CRT (other than as a Cathode Ray Tube) will have to look it up.
Bratti's Avatar
Bratti
Chatterbox
Bratti is offline
Canada
Joined: Mar 2018
Posts: 5,255
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-07-2021, 02:16 AM
7

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

Iíve heard Canada is nice.
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce
Chatterbox
Bruce is offline
Wollongong, Australia
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 15,218
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-07-2021, 05:11 AM
8

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

OK I said I hadn't heard of CRT but now I am an expert (well, I read the article in Wikipedia)

A couple of sentences stood out for me:

In the field of legal studies, CRT emphasizes that merely making laws colorblind on paper may not be enough to make the application of the laws colorblind; ostensibly colorblind laws can be applied in racially discriminatory ways.[15] A key CRT concept is intersectionality, which emphasizes that race can intersect with other identities (such as gender and class) to produce complex combinations of power and disadvantage.


That would certainly appear to be the case in Australia's blind spot - the treatment of the Indigenous population.

I was listening to a talk on the radio and someone pointed out that speeding fines for Aboriginals where they were pinged by a stationary speed camera was about the same as their proportion of the population (3%). However when the offences are recorded by a police radar trap the proportion of Aboriginals booked rockets.

30 years after the Aboriginal Deaths in Custody Royal Commission we are still recording more Aboriginal deaths in custody than anybody else because Aboriginals are 30% of the Australian prison population. It should also be noted that their life expectancy is something like 17 years lower than the rest of the population.

After decades of throwing massive amounts of money at the "problem" with little outcome perhaps there is a case for making different laws rather than colourblind laws.

Closing the Gap is largely an abject failure.

https://www.closingthegap.gov.au/
Danny's Avatar
Danny
Senior Member
Danny is offline
Denver, CO
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 407
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-07-2021, 10:01 AM
9

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
OK I said I hadn't heard of CRT but now I am an expert (well, I read the article in Wikipedia)

A couple of sentences stood out for me:

In the field of legal studies, CRT emphasizes that merely making laws colorblind on paper may not be enough to make the application of the laws colorblind; ostensibly colorblind laws can be applied in racially discriminatory ways.[15] A key CRT concept is intersectionality, which emphasizes that race can intersect with other identities (such as gender and class) to produce complex combinations of power and disadvantage.


That would certainly appear to be the case in Australia's blind spot - the treatment of the Indigenous population.

I was listening to a talk on the radio and someone pointed out that speeding fines for Aboriginals where they were pinged by a stationary speed camera was about the same as their proportion of the population (3%). However when the offences are recorded by a police radar trap the proportion of Aboriginals booked rockets.

30 years after the Aboriginal Deaths in Custody Royal Commission we are still recording more Aboriginal deaths in custody than anybody else because Aboriginals are 30% of the Australian prison population. It should also be noted that their life expectancy is something like 17 years lower than the rest of the population.

After decades of throwing massive amounts of money at the "problem" with little outcome perhaps there is a case for making different laws rather than colourblind laws.

Closing the Gap is largely an abject failure.

https://www.closingthegap.gov.au/
At least you took the time to read it. I agree with making different laws instead of colorblind ones. I also think history should be taught with the gloves off. I other words as it happened and not the way we wish to portray it, because we're ashamed. It's funny but, over here you hear racism it's usually black and white. During WW2 we locked up 100,000s Japanese Americans in interment camps. Never hear from them. Nor do you hear from the native Americans we put on reservations. I think in order to fix the problem we have to fix the whole problem. Personally I wish I could see and answer. I'm just unfamiliar with that kind of hate.
Danny's Avatar
Danny
Senior Member
Danny is offline
Denver, CO
Joined: Jun 2021
Posts: 407
Danny is male  Danny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 
 
22-07-2021, 10:05 AM
10

Re: I am becoming entirely too harsh

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Two points Danny:

1/. The grass is rarely greener on the other side.

2/. Stats are manipulated for too easily to paint whatever picture someone wants to portray. I can think of several problems alone in the phrase "we asked 100 people". I'll list a few of them if you like. But, as it stands, they have shown precisely nothing other than their potential ability to manipulate stats!!
1. You're right, but not looking for greener just different.

2. Agreed again, but the truth is most people who are both for and against CRT haven't taken the time to even read it. It's not that big of an issue. You can tell from the news articles against it that they don't have a clue what their fighting over , same with the ones for it.
 

Thread Tools


© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top

Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.