Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 12:06 PM

Re: Well done Waitrose !

I went to Morrison's last week, and where the Veg & Fruit stands are, you can usually pick up the plastic bags to put your fruit in, but they have gone now, its a brown paper bag with a see through bit in the front.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Agree with what you are saying Nom but blame has to also lie at those that throw away indiscriminately.

For example I have seen this on our beach here and holiday makers just leave all their rubbish that then gets blown into the sea before the beach is cleaned. Although they now know it's wrong people should also be made resposible and answer for this
We get "travellers" here from time to time. You should see the disgusting mess they leave behind.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 12:29 PM

That's good news Muddy, I hope our Sainsbury's will soon do the same.

When I go around the fruit and veg area I very often see members of the public taking bunches of the small plastic bags from the holders and do wonder if they themselves are stocking up on them for when the big change comes.
Panda
Dorset/Europe
Panda is female 

15-09-2018, 01:20 PM

I like the small independent shops wherever we are. Most greengrocers have stuck to using brown paper bags so could never understand why supermarkets couldn't follow suit. I always take my own washable container to the butchers/fishmongers, used to get some funny looks but have noticed I'm not the only one doing it these days.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 01:40 PM

Plastic needs to be banned completely throughout the world for it to make a difference. No doubt Britain's stance will help but even here we can still ruin the environment if we want to, we just have to pay 5p towards it. Of course the British Governments answer to everything has always been to fine us rather than sort out the real problem.

Ban them, ban cigarettes, ban vapes, ban everything but don't get around the problems by charging the public.

When we used to shop, we always ended up with about 4 or five carrier bags. We then re-used those bags to line the bins. Now there are no carrier bags around, we have to buy new ones on a roll so I can't really see how things have changed.

Where do all those plastic pellets come from (nurdles I think they are called)? I don't remember ever seeing someone empty a bag of them into the sea so no doubt they come from abroad where they are not so careful.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 02:38 PM

I always have my personal jute bag whenever I go shopping.

Waitrose's banning of plastic bags is a good start but it's like a drop in the ocean. Pun not intended, it's a disgrace how much plastic is out there.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 02:42 PM

I always take my own bags when I go to Tesco.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by solo ->
Agree with what you are saying Nom but blame has to also lie at those that throw away indiscriminately.

For example I have seen this on our beach here and holiday makers just leave all their rubbish that then gets blown into the sea before the beach is cleaned. Although they now know it's wrong people should also be made responsible and answer for this
I wont argue with this Solo,but much of plastics end up in the sea because it ended up there by companies supposed to dispose of it properly,its not that long ago that i used to watch barges laden with garbage being towed out to sea to be dumped miles offshore,once in the sea the tides spread it far and wide.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top