Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 02:03 PM

Re: What Washing Powder Do You Use?

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Washing machines were deigned by men.
There is no need for so many programmes and the lenght of time involved in washing clothes
Any woman can hand wash a few gaments in five minutes and squeeze the water out of them.
Of course soiled garments do need a machine wash.

The shortest cycle on Machines is 30 minutes,using electricity and time and wearing clothes out.

No garments take an hour or more to wash inamchine! They could all be done in 30 minutes including Spin Dry
So very true & far too many programs. I use only 2 on my appliance of science, quick wash & tumble dry. That is all you need.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Washing machines were deigned by men.
There is no need for so many programmes and the lenght of time involved in washing clothes
Any woman can hand wash a few gaments in five minutes and squeeze the water out of them.
Of course soiled garments do need a machine wash.

The shortest cycle on Machines is 30 minutes,using electricity and time and wearing clothes out.

No garments take an hour or more to wash inamchine! They could all be done in 30 minutes including Spin Dry
Washing machines are designed to satisfy the Greenies hence the preponderance of low-temperature washes. These of course cause the wash times to be longer, and because they are longer, you don't actually save electricity in doing so.

When I started as an apprentice electrician in 1971, the company I worked for used to repair washing machines (far too expensive to merely chuck away like they do now). One of the most popular machines was the Hoover slope-front `Keymatic`. No fancy programmes in those days, the machine came with a square `key` with a series of notches on each side. That key fitted into a slot at the top of the machine and, depending which side of the key you slotted in, would determine the type of washing to be carried out. Usually a pre-wash, then boil wash and a rinse/spin cycle for cottons on one edge of the key, fast coloureds/rinse and spin on another, woollens/rinse/low-speed rinse on another, and finally, just rinses and spins in case you had done some hand-washing of `delicates`.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
So very true & far too many programs. I use only 2 on my appliance of science, quick wash & tumble dry. That is all you need.

I don't now if this is true, but an engineer once told me we should use all the programmes from time to time.
He said something about using just the same couple of programmes continually, wears those parts out quicker.

Have I got that right? Any engineers on here?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I only use one - No. 4 - non-fast coloureds and half-load.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

14-08-2020, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't now if this is true, but an engineer once told me we should use all the programmes from time to time.
He said something about using just the same couple of programmes continually, wears those parts out quicker.

Have I got that right? Any engineers on here?
Not quite. But if you have a mechanical type programmer where the program is selected by a dial, maybe, but it would take a long time. I've been using the same setting for the last twenty years or so without issue.

Modern machines with electronic type programmers don't suffer this fate (no moving parts).
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Not quite. But if you have a mechanical type programmer where the program is selected by a dial, maybe, but it would take a long time. I've been using the same setting for the last twenty years or so without issue.

Modern machines with electronic type programmers don't suffer this fate (no moving parts).

I don't know what you'd call the programmer on my Bosch Judd?
You do move a dial to which setting you want, but then there is a long narrow black glass strip above the dial which lights up and you can alter the temperature/ spin speed/pause the cycle/or open the door by pushing the red lights on it.

It is a bit of a nuisance sometimes, because it is so sensitive that if I happen to brush against it, or lean over the machine to reach something - or even my T.shirt touching it, immediately halts the cycle and I have to set it going again.

I love the machine though, m ainly because it has the quietest spin I have ever had.
My previous one sounded like a one-man band when it spun!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

14-08-2020, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I don't know what you'd call the programmer on my Bosch Judd?
You do move a dial to which setting you want, but then there is a long narrow black glass strip above the dial which lights up and you can alter the temperature/ spin speed/pause the cycle/or open the door by pushing the red lights on it.

It is a bit of a nuisance sometimes, because it is so sensitive that if I happen to brush against it, or lean over the machine to reach something - or even my T.shirt touching it, immediately halts the cycle and I have to set it going again.

I love the machine though, m ainly because it has the quietest spin I have ever had.
My previous one sounded like a one-man band when it spun!
It's a mechanical type as you set the program with a dial as opposed to touch-controls which seem to be the norm these days.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-08-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
It's a mechanical type as you set the program with a dial as opposed to touch-controls which seem to be the norm these days.
It's both I think.
You turn the knob, but that doesn't start it, you still have to fine-tune it with spin speed, temperature, eco wash, etc with the touch-control black strip that lights up with red pictures on it.
As I said, even my T.shirt lightly brushing past that lighted bit, stops it working.
I have been very pleased with it though, whatever it is.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 03:03 PM

Mine is a Zanussi, washer/dryer. It has dials & a start/stop, pause, plus a light up for the timing thingy. It is quite old now & has started not lighting up/starting, but seems to be an intermittent fault, as it only does it sometimes. It could be on it's way out.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Today, l have been to Costco to buy a box of Ariel Professional Washing Powder for 140 washes. It was 17.99.
It was a toss up between buying that, or the same size Persil Non Bio washing powder.
I find Ariel washing powder very good.

What do you use? Do you use, powder, liquid, tablets or, sachets?

Whatever is on offer..... I'm not fussy... I buy own brand stuff if there are no good offers.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top