Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 05:50 PM

Re: What Washing Powder Do You Use?

I long ago gave up on washing powders - too messy. I usually buy the Bold Tropical liquid. Never use a softener these days either because I usually dry in my dryer, although when the weather is good, I feel a bit guilty and and hang it out. Towels are much better in the dryer.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 06:31 PM

Modern washers now don’t have a hot fill valve as the development of wash powders/liquids, are able to clean at lower temperatures, also in most cases the washer would fill to its level before the hot water reached the m/c, the old mechanical timers used to wear as they were little plastic cogs that were offset and pushed on little switches for the different parts of the wash cycle, now they are all pc boards mostly non repairable, when I worked for Hoover I remember people talking about the keymatic although I never saw one, I have worked on a commercial version of this with different cards for various programs you could even cut your own cycles with a special cutter, incidentally, the old mechanical timers were a bit of a nightmare to change as you had to change each individual wire and was really interesting if you got one mixed up....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Modern washers now don’t have a hot fill valve as the development of wash powders/liquids, are able to clean at lower temperatures, also in most cases the washer would fill to its level before the hot water reached the m/c, the old mechanical timers used to wear as they were little plastic cogs that were offset and pushed on little switches for the different parts of the wash cycle, now they are all pc boards mostly non repairable, when I worked for Hoover I remember people talking about the keymatic although I never saw one, I have worked on a commercial version of this with different cards for various programs you could even cut your own cycles with a special cutter, incidentally, the old mechanical timers were a bit of a nightmare to change as you had to change each individual wire and was really interesting if you got one mixed up....
I feel your pain. The speed controllers on the machines, such as they were, were centrifugal switches on the motor pulleys with an integral brake pad, both the switch and brake pad had to be replaced at regular intervals. What a pain.

Fifty years ago now...
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2020, 09:08 PM

In 1997 I had Hoover washing machine used regularly for twenty years without any servicing, finally the spin dryer stopped working.
Later, I was persauded to get an expensive Samsung from Curry's
A singing dancng machine, could even make the Tea, with 14 progrmmes. I do find the Wool cycle useful.
I preferred the Hover as this Samsung machine always has a residue of stale water left in .
I can't be bothered to call Curry.s as they take ages to reply and do not always honour the warranty which is for 10 years.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 12:30 AM

I never realised doing the laundry was so complicated. My machine is pretty old but still works fine it only has four controls two of which I never touch. I have never connected the hot water tap to the machine but it takes no longer to wash whether it is connected or not.

All those pipes hanging down are just looped over the taps only one is connected to the cold tap. They are left overs from old machines plus the hot connection not used for this machine.

The knob on the right clicks round with wash time probably a servo motor runs it. When this does eventually pack it in I would get another top loader they are so much better than front loaders in my opinion.

Personally I miss my twin tub.

This is the powder I am currently using but it seems to be different every time, from memory last time it was a tub of Surf I think.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020695.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	13533   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020696.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	13534  
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I never realised doing the laundry was so complicated. My machine is pretty old but still works fine it only has four controls two of which I never touch. I have never connected the hot water tap to the machine but it takes no longer to wash whether it is connected or not.

All those pipes hanging down are just looped over the taps only one is connected to the cold tap. They are left overs from old machines plus the hot connection not used for this machine.

The knob on the right clicks round with wash time probably a servo motor runs it. When this does eventually pack it in I would get another top loader they are so much better than front loaders in my opinion.

Personally I miss my twin tub.

This is the powder I am currently using but it seems to be different every time, from memory last time it was a tub of Surf I think.

I don't, I was always over filling it & flooding the kitchen where we lived before, but there it didn't matter so much as the floor was quarry stone tiled so I just swept the water out the back door.
Doing it here had dire consequences as the house is split level & the kitchen is above the bathroom.
I was very glad & grateful when I got my first automatic washing machine.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 11:14 AM

Surcare washing powder and washing up liquid arriving with my next Sainsbury's delivery!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2020, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Surcare washing powder and washing up liquid arriving with my next Sainsbury's delivery!
I live in a soft water area so I do not have to use a large amount of Surcare powder.

Depending on your water hardness, you might find the same or otherwise. You might test the reaction of the powder to your water with just a few items to start with ..... there's no point in over-foaming .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Have you tried either yet .....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-09-2020, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Have you tried either yet .....
Been using the washing up liquid for about 6 days and am favourably impressed. It compares well with Sainsbury's own brand for both quality and price.

Have not tried the washing powder yet as I still have a quarter of a box of Sainsbury's own to use up. Surcare is more expensive for almost the same weight - so will see what the performance is like before I judge it.

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top