Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2014, 05:49 PM

Re: £10 Assisted Passage

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Wherever I've been on holiday over the years, and I've been to so many beautiful countries, its always nice to get home to everything that's familiar..except possibly the English weather!!
Yep - that's just how we are - homebodies ....
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2014, 06:57 PM

I was taking my young Family on the assisted passage scheme in 1968, but the wife's father died in the meantime and she refused to go and leave her mother on her own, so that was that, maybe it was just as well, we are all near one another and very happy here.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2014, 07:13 PM

It never ceases to amaze me when I watch Wanted Down Under, all the families inevitably have very close relatives they don't want to leave! Then why go on the programme? The cynic in me wonders if they just want a free week in their chosen destination.

Why put themselves and their loved ones through all that anguish? I long for the day that someone goes on the show, is leaving no-one behind, and goes off to their new life.

But then I suppose it won't make good telly.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Jazzi don't know if you have managed to watch Wanted Down Under last week and again starting this. Its the people who have been on the programme, bothered about what their family and friends said and what they are doing now 2 years later. Some have eventually gone no matter what the family said and others decided it was just a dream and stayed put.
I also wonder if some of them want a weeks free holiday. We will just have to wonder if that is true
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
You've not grown fangs - have ya !
fangs 'ain't what they used to be
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2014, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Who remembers them? Do you wish you had gone when you had the chance and would you go now?
That's how I got here to god's own country!

Actually, I finished my training with Folkestone's GPO Telephones in May or June 1966 (I think that was right) so I wrote to the US, the Canadian and the Australian Embassy to get their immigration forms.

The US form I couldn't understand so that left Canada and Australia. For the former you had to pay your own fare and they had bloody awful winters whereas Australia charged you £10 and would fly you out. I was accepted within weeks.

After 48 hours on a Boeing 707 I arrived in Sydney on the 8th October 1966. I only intended it to be a a sort of paid, extended overseas holiday (I was 19) I returned to Britain in 1968 as planned. Worked there for a few years (at the PO Tower in London) before once again deciding to travel.

To cut a long story short ended up in Sydney to get cash to go back to England after nine months travelling the middle east and Asia. The moment I stepped off the plane I immediately felt I was home, it was a revelation! so I worked for a few months, flew back to England, sorted out my affairs, voted 'Non' for the Common Market, endured Heath's three day week, worked as a postman in SW1 and flew back to Australia for good.

Wouldn't live anywhere else - a view reinforced by irregular visits to the UK and Europe over the years.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Makes sense Bruce - to have that feeling 'this' was your home stepping off that plane. You should always go by yer instincts
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

11-02-2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
fangs 'ain't what they used to be
Sure aint !
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 01:51 AM

I was brought here by my parents when I was 8 so had no choice in the matter. I grew up accepting Australia as my home. In 1980 my first husband and I decided to return to the UK for a holiday, the first time in 30 years.

I was the opposite of Bruce - the moment i stepped out into England I felt I had come back home. By that time of course we had adult children (and later on grandchildren) here and my parents were getting older and we wouldn't have been able to afford a house in England. Then after my marriage ended I came back and taught in Kent for 2 years and absolutely loved it.

Since then I met my current partner who is a Geordie and we now, for the last seven years, come back every year during our winter. We are torn between the two countries as I have never been a fan of bush, beaches and outback. I miss the history, the access to culture, the cheap and quick travel and the diversity. However, I guess we are having the best of both worlds at the moment.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 04:58 AM

we arrived back in England in 1981 with two school children - the schools were in anarchy - fighting with knives - we decided to get out quick. fortunately offered a job in OZ paid our own way and never looked back - great life and always plenty of sunshine!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top