Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Toffs !

Watching the 3 part docu on WW1 (as difficult as it is) just reinforces my dislike for the 'toffs'
Because of the German U-boats sinking our ships loaded with food supplies, the poor were suffering badly. So, the toffs were asked to give up 'bread' - they could have all their other goodies, but leave the bread for the poorer community.
They did this, bless 'em .. till they got to their fancy restaurants, where they had their 4 courses and 'bread rolls' of course, while ol' gals dressed in rags were outside huddled together.
This is a picture of those times - the poor kids, some without shoes on their feet ....

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Re: Toffs !

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Watching the 3 part docu on WW1 (as difficult as it is) just reinforces my dislike for the 'toffs'
Because of the German U-boats sinking our ships loaded with food supplies, the poor were suffering badly. So, the toffs were asked to give up 'bread' - they could have all their other goodies, but leave the bread for the poorer community.
Does it not occur to you that you might be a toff to some poor starving child in the Sudan?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 01:52 PM

No !!
And - I 'give' what I can too !
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
No !!
And - I 'give' what I can too !

Patsy darlin' I have a rather large book with lots of Photos in with added commentary below the photos. The book is entitled: "To Build Jerusalem". If you saw it and read the commentaries, you too would as angry as I am, not at just the 'toffs', but the tories in general too.

There is another book - "Know your MP" written by Andre Deutsch, which describes the antics of the 'Anglo-German Fellowship league. This organisation was selling arms and equipment and steel to Germany even AFTER war was declared both in 1914 and yet again in 1939.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2014, 02:24 PM

Honestly Joe - nothing surprises me now, where this lot are concerned.
I'm just pleased they don't have it quite as good as they used to.
I will check out 'To build Jerusalem' - it sounds the kinda book 'everyone' should read ....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 02:56 PM

Well, why were restaurants allowed to serve these lavish meals? I assume that they were not subject to the same rationing as most people.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2014, 03:01 PM

No - they were not, life carries on for the 'hoity toity' now don't it .....
seaspirit
stowmarket suffolk
seaspirit is female  seaspirit has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 03:22 PM

wasn't much different after the second world war, my friend had school shoes, but was not allowed to wear them out of school, so I used to leave my shoes at her house when we went out to play
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by seaspirit ->
wasn't much different after the second world war, my friend had school shoes, but was not allowed to wear them out of school, so I used to leave my shoes at her house when we went out to play
That's true - WW2 pretty much the same .....
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2014, 04:56 PM

The good old days, eh?!! They were for some.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top