Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 02:19 PM

MOT & Service

I've been looking around trying to find a better garage locally to get my car MOT & Service and after all the problems with the car last time with the fuel sender I couldn't face going through the long wait and aggravation there again so I thought I'll look at Halfords Autocentres.

I looked up online reviews and the first thing that I found is the the AA are unofficially recommending members avoid Halfords for MOTs & Servicing!

Where I live we have loads of garage services and I've tried most of them over the years and often found the bumping up of bills for minor, often probably unnecessary things, work being done without your permission and not giving you the true information on total costs until it's all been done.

The garage I've been using for three years I suspected of doing that last time with the fuel sender sealing ring which THEY broke, hence my wanting to find a better garage.

It now seems that they are few and far between locally so I'll be going back to them again, mainly because they actually provided a courtesy car after the cock-up.

Better the devil you know but this time I'm making it clear to the proprietor that as he's AA-recommended and I'm an AA member, any failings or cock-ups this time around will result in my informing the AA and his AA-recommendation could be at risk.

I think that's fair and reasonable so we'll see what he says.

If he doesn't like it I'm stuffed but I've really had enough of the escalating costs of running a car and I'm not one capable of doing this myself.

What do you think - fair? stevmk2
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 04:10 PM

Re: MOT & Service

Cars are so hi-tech these days that you can't do the work yourself so you're putty in their hands. Fortunately there are some honest garages about so if you find one it's best to stick with it.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2014, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Cars are so hi-tech these days that you can't do the work yourself so you're putty in their hands. Fortunately there are some honest garages about so if you find one it's best to stick with it.
In my case it seems to the best of a bad lot Alan but you're right about the technology! stevmk2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 09:13 AM

At this very minute I have my mobile mechanic, who I've used for many years, doing my service and MOT.

However, he can't see to the faulty central locking that I'm experiencing (which worked fine when he pressed the keyfob! Grrrrrr!), so if it persists then I have to go back to Nissan, against my will, for them to investigate and hand me a highly inflated invoice!

God luck Steve, and yes, I think that's fair.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Well I was obviously paying for his time going to the MOT station! He whipped through that service and wasn't what I'd call major! I know I only do a couple of thousand miles a year now I have my Oyster card, but blimey...

Next big payout...the tax. £175. Eek.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

18-02-2014, 05:53 PM

Booked my car in for MOT & Full Service this Friday at the garage I used last year (and year before) and I had a brief word with the proprietor regarding adhering to the quoted cost of £139 for the two.

I told him I accept that there may be a couple of minor things like an iffy back light bulb but I expect him to let me know before he starts dismantling anything and breaks something, like he did last time! stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

21-02-2014, 04:54 PM

Absolutely bloody livid with this garage again!

Been back for my car only to find the dipstick's not there and his "oppo" says it failed due to the fog lamp and number plate light not working.

My car has a built-in analyser that lights up a bulb symbol on the dash if there's a bulb gone in the lighting circuit - and there was no such indication this morning.

Checking online I now find the fog lamp isn't in the circuit, neither is the high-level brake light repeater this car has so it looks like the number plate light isn't included either but what I don't understand is the employee ringing his hands telling me the problem and, when I ask, the boss isn't in and he's no idea when he's due back - and he's the bloody MOT Tester!

Do these bloody people sit there and say "Oooh, a pensioner, let's screw the b******s for as much as we can get" - or what!!!!

I'm now on my third beer 'cos I don't care now - my car can clog up his limited space until I am ready to pick it up because his employee says "Oh yes, it'll be done today" which makes me angry and exceedingly suspicious!!

If I was a bunny, I'd be a homicidal maniac bunny - NOT happy at all!!!! stevmk2
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

23-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Well mainly due to our problems on Friday evening - totally unexpected too - I didn't get around to even checking on the car until yesterday morning.

I'm relieved to get it back again, especially after the problems we had NOT having it at the one time we REALLY needed it and it ended up costing me £210 instead of £139 but at least there are now no "Recommendations" on the MOT form, which is a bit of a blessing!

Besides, the place I was going to take it too wanted £199.00 for a service and MOT and oil, filters, spark plugs etc. were extra!

The extra was for bulbs and tracking-down an electrical fault on the fog lamp and I got the alignment done (was on "Recommendations"!) so it doesn't crop-up next year - I had noticed the slight twitch on full lock to be honest so I'd have got that done anyway soon! stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top