Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2014, 04:02 PM

why is it always down to me?? Grrrrr.

In my block there are 6 flats, at the moment only five are occupied, but this is a recent thing. We have, obviously, a communal entrance/hall/staircase. About a month ago my son and I had been out all day and into the evening having finished off the outing with a nice meal, came in the back entrance to find that the light right by the back door, was out, still out the next day and the next. Now I rarely go out nowadays, so in a way I have an excuse for not knowing the light was still out, (stairs are a bit too much) but the two guys on the floor below are always in and out, newsagents, pub, betting shop, chippie, see them come and go day in day out, so how come neither of them bothered to report this? Why does everyone seem to assume that someone else has done this? And now, in the storm the night before last, the back fence which encloses our drying area, has been blown down, and a huge concrete post snapped off at its base, in fact this fence is now resting on my sons motor bike. Nothing was done yesterday so whilst reporting the light, I asked if anyone had bothered to report the storm damage, and guess what, no-one had. Again, down to me. It makes me so ruddy well angry as this has happened several times before.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2014, 04:33 PM

Re: why is it always down to me?? Grrrrr.

Makes me cross too - and reminds me of a poster that used to be on our office wall:-

WHOSE JOB IS IT ?

This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody,

Anybody, and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and

Everybody was asked to do it. Everybody was sure Somebody would

do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody

got angry about that, because it was Everybody's job. Everybody

thought Anybody could do it but Nobody realized that Everybody

wouldn't do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when

Nobody did what Anybody could have done.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2014, 04:37 PM

Well this, I can relate to - I live amongst people that seem to live by the phrase - 'let someone else do the dirty work'
I'm absolutely fed up with where I live, but I'm stuck here, no chance of moving. That's my moan for the day ....people
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Why does everyone seem to assume that someone else has done this? And now, in the storm the night before last, the back fence which encloses our drying area, has been blown down, and a huge concrete post snapped off at its base, in fact this fence is now resting on my sons motor bike. Nothing was done yesterday so whilst reporting the light, I asked if anyone had bothered to report the storm damage, and guess what, no-one had. Again, down to me. It makes me so ruddy well angry as this has happened several times before.
Perhaps they all think "Why is it always down to me?"

I have reported street lights out on major thoroughfares and been surprised that they weren't reported before but when I thought about of course they weren't because everybody thought like me for the first couple of days.

Just look upon it as a public duty, report it straight away and don't worry about why others haven't done it before you. You'll feel much better for it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 02:59 PM

Every case is different Bruce .... try living here, you'd soon change yer mind
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 04:19 PM

why is it always down to me?? Grrrrr.

Because you are a doer, so am I. Would rather someone else do things but never happens, so we carry on....
Moiramary
Lincoln
Moiramary is female  Moiramary has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 04:47 PM

It doesn't matter where you live or where you work, it is always the same few people who get things done.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2014, 06:03 PM

I report things to the local council whenever I can simply because they asked me to!

We had potholes up and down our road 3 or 4 years ago that were getting more and more difficult to avoid but when I reported this the council told me nobody else had bothered to let them know.

They investigated, organised repair crews and got back to me thanking me and that's when they asked me to let them know of anything else I encountered.

At first I thought this was someone being a little sarcastic because I'll complain about anything that I think is a danger or a possible source of danger but No, they replied saying that very few people ever bother to inform them first.

They tend to moan at local newspapers who then splash it all over the local rag yet the council's often NOT been informed at all!

This may have something to do with the Residents Association that I was a member of some time ago but now it seems that if there's anything wrong in our street, people expect ME to do the complaining now!

They STILL won't do it themselves! stevmk2
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-02-2014, 06:07 PM

Well, you've set yerself up there Steve, they will expect you to do the calling now.....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2014, 10:06 AM

Love that poster contents. Could do with putting it up in the hallway of these flats.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top