Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2014, 11:08 PM

Re: Another baby killed by the family pet

What will it take for parents to have some bloody common sense? I just don't "get it".
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2014, 11:09 PM

How tragic
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2014, 11:26 PM

There will be another Dog, and another tragedy, what is the answer.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2014, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
To a dog a baby must appear to be a small creature that smells of milk/food and squeals like prey.
If only people would realise this and never leave a baby alone with a dog.

Absolutely agree Meg, perhaps even more so with a dog you've "bought down the pub" and haven't had very long.
Why won't parents ever understand this, especially when other cases receive much publicity, they can't be ignorant of it happening surely.
What type of person would sell their dog "down the pub" in the first place? Often stolen dogs are disposed of this way.
Fancy taking a large, strange dog home, knowing nothing about its temperament whatsoever, when the wife is pregnant.
Angelfire
South, USA
Angelfire is female  Angelfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 06:54 AM

I had a small dog when I became pregnant with my first child. I knew the dog might snap, and or bite my child. I sold my little dog, as I did not want to worry about what the dog might try to do to the baby. Some people are so damned stupid, having a dog in the house with a baby or small child. Dogs are jealous, etc.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 09:22 AM

Another poor child and another poor dog. This time the dog seems not to have been trained to kill or hurt. Saying that a baby crying even gets cats looking at them so to a dog it would be really interesting to look at.
I think the dog just didn't know what a baby was and as mentioned if the poor mite was crying it would have caused great interest and the natural thing for a dog to do is grab it with its mouth.
We only had the poor girl killed about 10 days ago and now another one. The publicity it gets is massive and yet the parents of babies and kids seem to take no notice of what has been said.
I have three cats and no way would I introduce a dog into my household that was not born with the cats. So would never introduce it to a new born baby. It is a very big shame and I cant see it finishing until people are trained as well as the dogs. I think a good idea is to give out a leaflet when you have had a baby which is given to the parents about the dangers of dogs and new born babies and young children. Or, if not, how can we ram it down their throats?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Absolutely agree Meg, perhaps even more so with a dog you've "bought down the pub" and haven't had very long.
Why won't parents ever understand this, especially when other cases receive much publicity, they can't be ignorant of it happening surely.
What type of person would sell their dog "down the pub" in the first place? Often stolen dogs are disposed of this way.
Fancy taking a large, strange dog home, knowing nothing about its temperament whatsoever, when the wife is pregnant.
This is it! Who buys a dog in the pub without finding out its history, the why(!) and the wherefore?! And also agree, why, with a baby on the way?

I agree with leafleting new (and old) parents about the dangers of pets in the household with new babies, even if it offends. Are they really oblivious to the previous cases of this happening?!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 10:12 AM

I think people just think it could never happen to them, having a child and a dog is extremely hard work (well it was for us) making sure they were never alone, making sure they were safe. But we managed it even with a biter, it only took a few weeks for him to accept each child as part of his family and would protect them with his life. If it hadn't worked out and he hadn't accepted them then sadly he would have been PTS as although it would have killed me to do so the children's safety had to come first.

If we had taken an eye off the situation it could have all been so different though and TBH I think we were just lucky.

Wonder if more education is the answer or a simple check on what animals a family own when they have a baby ? Warn them what can happen or refer them for training if they don't seem to understand what they are taking on ?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 12:22 PM

Investigations continue the baby is thought to have been killed by the dog. Post mortem results will reveal what injuries were sustained. Police have confirmed the dog is still alive.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2014, 12:33 PM

It seems there were two dogs in the household, so they need to find out exactly what happened, we are assuming the malamute killed the baby but I am not sure why other than what media is saying so far.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top