Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 10:52 AM

Re: Another baby killed by the family pet

I think Julie is right. In cases like this there is always a "rush to judgement" - usually when no facts whatever are known. Having been around Huskies and Malamutes for over 20 years all sorts of scenarios are possible. All we know for sure at the moment is that the child is dead, there was more than one dog in the house (I've seen reports claiming that there were 2 or 3 dogs there), and that the Malamute was found "near" the dead baby. while agreeing 100% that babies/children should never be left alone with any dog, let's wait until some of the actual facts emerge before condemning either dog, parents or both.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by oldbugger ->
What will it take for parents to have some bloody common sense? I just don't "get it".
My thought too OB - what on earth is it with some people these days?
Is common sense being bred-out?

I know two people who have these dogs and two of the dogs are absolutely huge.

There's no way on earth I'd leave a baby alone at any time with a dog like that no matter how well I knew it!

Years ago my 1st wife and I took on two German Shepherd dogs and the elder one was the biggest I'd ever seen; almost the same in size to these Malamutes.

We knew their history and temperament and we knew the "pup" was a bit too playful at times but both dogs were very gentle with our two young children at all time but even so, we'd NEVER, EVER leave them alone together. stevmk2
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2014, 12:08 PM

I don't even leave Betty our teeny tiny Chihuahua with the children, size of her she couldn't do too much damage but I won't take a risk.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 04:37 AM

I've never had any kids, but if I had I would never leave any baby or child alone with a cat, dog, or any other animal free to roam in the house e.g. ferret, snake or whatever, no matter how "soft" or "gentle" their pet is.

I'm an adult (obviously) but a few years ago I was the subject of a cat attack. Not one of my own cats, I hasten to add, but an infiltrator, who scored down my left arm and hand with claws, resulting in me taking a trip to A&E as advised by my surgery for such an attack.

It is foolhardy for anyone to have a predator in the home with young children.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I've never had any kids, but if I had I would never leave any baby or child alone with a cat, dog, or any other animal free to roam in the house e.g. ferret, snake or whatever, no matter how "soft" or "gentle" their pet is.

I'm an adult (obviously) but a few years ago I was the subject of a cat attack. Not one of my own cats, I hasten to add, but an infiltrator, who scored down my left arm and hand with claws, resulting in me taking a trip to A&E as advised by my surgery for such an attack.

Are you saying nobody with young children should have pets ?
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 11:34 AM

that is exactly right clumsy. Well observed.

My dog is fine with children but he will NEVER be left alone with any child under the age of 18 and babies he will never get closer than 6ft - for the reasons you state, they squeak and throw their limbs around, he'd find it fascinating.

These stories just haunt me. Despite what we say on here there are a family that are in unspeakable grief and my heart goes out to them. They didn't have their eye on the ball for whatever reason and the consequences have been horrific.

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
It is indeed dreadful, but despite warning after warning people still leave young children alone with dogs. We buy squeaky toys for dogs and who knows, a new baby crying will probably sound like a new toy to a dog. A well balanced happy family dog would probably not be able to distinguish between a squeaky toy and a tiny baby. So very sad.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 11:35 AM

True MickB - often the truth is very different to what is speculated.

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think Julie is right. In cases like this there is always a "rush to judgement" - usually when no facts whatever are known. Having been around Huskies and Malamutes for over 20 years all sorts of scenarios are possible. All we know for sure at the moment is that the child is dead, there was more than one dog in the house (I've seen reports claiming that there were 2 or 3 dogs there), and that the Malamute was found "near" the dead baby. while agreeing 100% that babies/children should never be left alone with any dog, let's wait until some of the actual facts emerge before condemning either dog, parents or both.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
Mollie, quite often pets are bought specifically for the children except in the case of large dogs, which are often status symbols to some.

By using the word "predator" I believe that you are referring to large animals or those whose genetic history is from it's predatory ancestors, as in dogs mainly but also cats; I was badly scratched by a Siamese cat many years ago and required several stitches so I do know what you mean.

I believe that pets are too easily bought, often for the wrong reasons, and there should be far more control on all pets plus proper licensing, particularly when there are likely to be children in their new environment.

There should also be regular checks IMHO on animal welfare whereby, if need be, Vets would charge a small fee to give an animal a quick examination, or MOT if you like, to safeguard both the animal AND those living with it.

This should curb many of the appalling cases of neglect we see far too often and could give owners peace of mind too.

Getting back to dogs, I've often seen people with dogs that they obviously cannot control at all, which to me is worrying when there are children in the same environment.

The problems always seem to be the almost complete lack of thought or lack of common sense that too many people exhibit when getting dogs, many of which then end up in pounds or destroyed.

As we are for all intents and purposes the dominant species of land animals on this earth surely it's about time we considered their welfare far more than we do? stevmk2
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 12:54 PM

I think I have given up on judging people and their obsessions with pets. Not only do humans suffer in some cases but the pets do too. I just read a report on a kitten that was microwaved for 5 minutes by this woman with mental health issues because she thought it had attacked a gold fish. I mean really! That is enough for me ... passed caring I think.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-02-2014, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I think I have given up on judging people and their obsessions with pets. Not only do humans suffer in some cases but the pets do too. I just read a report on a kitten that was microwaved for 5 minutes by this woman with mental health issues because she thought it had attacked a gold fish. I mean really! That is enough for me ... passed caring I think.
That story has haunted me - I've given up on people to be honest, I'm a recluse now ......

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top