Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 08:20 AM

Home heating

I've noticed that people interviewed on TV about heating the home often only have lightweight clothing on. I saw an older person in a news item who had a low V-neck top on. Over the top of that was a thin cardigan with the sleeves pulled up to three-quarter length. Also have seen younger people sitting around in short-sleeved tops talking about the cost of their heating bills.

There seems to be an expectation that our homes should keep us inexpensively warm even if wearing T-shirts. Is that reasonable? Should those wearing lightweight clothing indoors during the winter help themselves and the environment by wearing warmer clothes and winding the heating down a few degrees?

What temperature do you keep your home at?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 08:58 AM

Re: Home heating

The thermostat (in the hall) is set at 16C. The boiler is on 6.30 - 9am and 4.30 - 9pm. We have our wonderful woodburner in the living room, which gives us fantastic heat and I usually light it about 4pm. During cold snaps I'll happily override the heating controls and have the CH on all day, or light the burner early. But our house is fairly new and well insulated and faces south, so any daytime sun helps

I agree that some folk seem to wear the same clothes year round - seems crazy to me - pay a fortune for home heating when an extra jumper or thicker socks will do the trick.
Cassie
West Wales
Cassie is female  Cassie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 12:18 PM

I've absolutely no idea what temp. it is in here! I've just put a new bottle of gas on & that will heat me & let me cook for approx. 34 days for £40. I have the fire on low as it gives me a thick head if its too warm. I have my big snuggly fleece blanket on the settee too. I usually have a fleece top on over a long sleeve top layers are the answer too but having lived on the remotest part of the moor you soon work out how to economise & dress appropriately!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 12:38 PM

I only have one heater on (I have gas central heating) and that is in my living room. I hate hot bedrooms. I only wear short sleeved T-shirts, winter and summer. I even go out with only a T-shirt under my jacket. I don't feel the cold and hate to feel too hot! I wouldn't even bother with the one in the living room but I have to keep it on for the parrots! However, I put the heating off during the day if the sun is shining as it does get far too warm in here!!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 03:08 PM

Good point there mart, . . it is silly to go about the house semi-nuddy, . . I find that 25 degrees is about right in the house, . . the hallway where big Nelson likes to lay has the radiator turned off, it's too warm in the living room for him coz his coat is like a sheep's, as a result the staircase is like a fridge but the bedroom doors are all kept closed.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 05:03 PM

I have started wearing extra layers as I find too much un-natural heat dehydrates you. Try to keep the temp on 19 to 20
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 05:45 PM

The daytime temperature here is more or less left without extra heat. It just retains some of the heat from the couple of hours the radiators are on in the morning. It might sink down to about 15° - 16°c during the day. The evening and morning temperatures are set at around 17° - 18°c.

We wear a couple of layers of clothes and that includes on the legs. Maybe even an extra jumper on top of that if feeling chilly.

I read there is a danger to older people if the temperature is allowed to get too low. If that happens, the blood thickens and then circulation/heart problems can occur. So I'd never preach on the subject but do wish those people complaining on the telly would try wearing a few more clothes.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 10:34 PM

I have gas hot water heating (radiators), and keep the thermostat set at 70 F. This is an older house and not well insulated, and I do feel the cold. Would love to keep it at 75 F but natural gas is very high. I layer up in the Winter months.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-01-2010, 11:10 PM

We have gas central heating and have recently had a new condenser boiler which is set at 68 degrees we do not use the timer switch we just use it as and when we need to we turn off when we are warm enough we wear extra woolies in the winter and I must say it soon gets too hot upstairs for my liking we are cavity wall insulated and loft insulated to loads of inches and fully double glazed but we still pull the blinds and curtains in the winter as this helps insulate the rooms don't know what our room temperatures are though...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Funny you should say that Mart, I recently noticed an old chap being interviewed on TV about keeping warm and he had on a v necked shirt and sleeveless woollen waistcoat. I thought how silly ..

I only have my heating on for a few hours each day in the afternoon and evening and wear three layers of jumpers (the top one varying in thickness depending on how cold it is ).

I bought some fantastic new unworn woollen jumpers off Ebay for the top layer they arn't exactly fashionable or glamorous but who cares

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top