Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Re: Home heating

I think we are all in for a shock when this winter quarterly bill arrives from the utility company. We have a gas-fired boiler -feeding six rads.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 11:02 AM

I didn't stint on the heat while the family was staying at Christmas and kept the heating on low over the really cold spell. It's said keeping it on low is better than letting the home cool right down and then warming it up from a low temperature. We've got 7 radiators but we have a newish, supposedly energy efficient, boiler so we'll see. Our bill is paid on a monthly plan. They could try to increase the payments I suppose.

Regarding indoor dressing for warmth, one thing I do when the weather is really cold is to wear a pair of woolly socks over the top of another pair of woolly socks. Then put trainers on rather than wear slippers. Slippers are generally too open and let the warmth escape. Often find that if the feet are kept warm, it makes a difference to the overall feeling of warmth.

I also sometimes wear trousers called 'Chums' while indoors. these have a lining to keep the legs warm. We both wear vests and long-johns too. Layers is the answer.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 11:12 AM

Thermostat is set at around 16C.

I spend most evenings in a T shirt in front of a coal fire feeling very warm.

Jenny has to have a very warm room as she feels the cold-not being able to swallow means she only gets cold stuff pumped into her. She has not had a hot drink for months now.

It`s a pity this country is skint as some cancer patients could do with help for heating
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 01:47 PM

A tip for all who have CH, . . your systems have many different types of metal in them from steel rads and steel heat exchangers to copper pipes and brass fittings.

This applies to sealed systems not the Combi boiler ones, . . put a gallon of Fernox in your expansion tank it stops rads and other metals from corroding and lubricates your circulation pump, it's non-toxic and environmentally friendly.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 02:38 PM

My boiler comes on at 7.00 to 8.00am and 4.00 to 10pm if it gets too cool
out-side these times I hit the boost button. Thermostat is set at 20C (68F). My last quarter's bill was only £10 up on last year which was a pleasant surprise. I don't have cavity wall insulation but the walls are 2 1/2 feet thick.
Sweep
Kent UK
Sweep is female  Sweep has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 03:02 PM

We don't have Central Heating - Only an electric heater we put on in the evening after 5pm ONLY & only in one room. OH & I both layer up our clothes & add to them if needed.......but I must admit I would like a bit more Heating now
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 03:06 PM

come to think we have sweep coming tomorrow morning.

I`m all for youth employment but brushes are just as good and we don`t want a boy stuck up there
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Go on OG ..send a boy up there. It'll give 'im something to do.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top