Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 08:05 PM

Which foreign language do you love ?

I love to hear Italian spoken, . . I think it's the most romantic and expressive language there is, . . I don't speak Italian but just listening to them speak does it for me.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Re: Which foreign language do you love ?

I quite like most languages - think French is more romantic sounding than Italian tho
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 09:19 PM

Spanish, another musical language. I had three years of it, but have lost most of my ability to speak/read because of disuse. Sad.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 10:47 PM

I could listen all day to the Irish with the soft, lilting accent (must be the Irish in me!) but don't suppose that counts-so I would have to say French-can't speak it myself as just couldn't get the hang of it.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2010, 11:51 PM

Anyone know any Mandarin speakers? I have Chinese friends and that tonal language sounds so harsh to me.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2010, 06:04 AM

No offence to our neighbours, but German is an awful sounding language, . . all that spitting and rolling their arrrs, and lolling their ellllls, . . . like rrrrolllf, and gespitzzz,
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2010, 11:08 AM

My brother's wife is Italian and I agree it is a lovely language to listen to. My brother has lived in Italy for over 30 years now and speaks fluent Italian but I often wonder what it sounds like to the Italians when it's spoken with a West Country accent!
nero
Central Scotland

07-02-2010, 04:30 PM

When I was an apprentice I worked with a tradesman of Italian decent, . . he was born here but his mum and dad were Italian immigrants.

I picked up one or two words from him, . . he was a gem of a man, . . he lived to the age of 78, . . loved listening to his operas on the Hi-Fi and he slipped away one Saturday in his easy chair, . . no pain or distress, . . now that's the way to go eh.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2010, 06:24 PM

Italian for me as well-I used to speak it reasonably but as with others lack of use......

There are a few `accents` in Italy. The lady who taught me my basic Italian was English but had Italian parents and she spoke `Proper(Northern?) Italian--we were chatting a few years ago and I softened a few words. She smiled and said "Stefano you have been to Naples"

Another teacher came from Calabria and his Italian was again a little different in the way some words were pronounced

Jenny speaks fluent French which certainly made a big difference when we used to holiday there--a warm smile from the locals as opposed to rude comments about the brits!!
nero
Central Scotland

07-02-2010, 07:23 PM

There are lots of local accents here too OG, . . Geordies and Aberdonians I just cannot understand, . . I used to work alongside an Aberdonian and it was pure guess work to understand what he was saying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top