Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 10:20 AM

Re: Amazon Prime

Originally Posted by carol ->
I manage to get away without paying postage to Amazon. I have no need for Prime!

If I get to my payment page & discover I'm being charged postage I abandon the order & get it from ebay who never seem to charge postage.

Other times Amazon require you to spend a certain amount to get free postage so I order a book or something to make the amount up. It doesn't bother me as I'm always ordering books. Can't have too many.
Yes, I usually avoid paying for postage as I try to make my order (just) over £20.

Unfortunately, if any of the items are from 'Marketplace' sellers, they may not count towards the £20 limit. You have to be very careful!
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 10:21 AM

I got persuaded to join Prime but before the trial period ran out I cancelled it.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Moyra ->
I got persuaded to join Prime but before the trial period ran out I cancelled it.
Yes, I accepted a free trial of Prime, just in time for the recent 'Prime Day' and bought several things that we needed. There were many price reductions on that day in addition to the free postage.

Then cancelled!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 10:31 AM

I have had free trials of Prime but have no intention of subscribing to it for payment... my youngest son has it so I often go through his acc.
I don't order enough for it to be really useful but I do see how easy it would be to sign up in error and be totally unaware of it until payment has been taken.
This I'm sure is the whole point of making it like this...there must be loads of unsuspecting buyers who are duped (for want of a better word)..
When buying online it's always worth checking and rechecking when on payment pages so as not to get caught out...I buy a lot online and there are plenty of sites which use similar tactics to catch the unwary.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Yes but JBR is not disputing that. He is talking about their underhand tactics to get people to join.
Well all I can say is that people are very gullible if they fall for underhand tactics.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:04 AM

Yes, I've noticed how easy it is to accidently press the Amazon Prime button when it comes to ordering. I make sure I am very careful not to press the wrong button

I too make sure I don't pay any postage by always ordering over £20 of goods every time to ensure free postage, but the other ploy they use is that if the goods are from a third party company being sold via Amazon, unless that company itself is offering free postage, you cannot count it towards the £20 shopping total that Amazon offers.

Their other ploy is that when one is trying to make the £20 up to gain free postage, Amazon tend to make a lot of their lower priced items "Add-ons" which means they cannot be included when you are trying to make up the cost of £20.

I still manage to do it though, ensuring I buy only what I need or is useful. I've cottoned on to their selling ploys.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:40 AM

Sports Direct used to do a similar thing, they would sneakily add one of their mahoosive mugs and a catalogue to your order and if you didn't unselect them at the checkout you were charged for them.

And yes, Amazon are sneaky too, I've been caught out with Prime but cancelled it before it could cost me any money.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 11:45 AM

Some years ago, I was caught out and had to cancel, too - now I'm twice shy .....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Well all I can say is that people are very gullible if they fall for underhand tactics.
It's easily done
Clearly you never go on the Amazon website it's not guillibilty it's the way the website is deliberately configured.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Just trying to order something on Amazon only to find several 'layers' of persuasion to join Amazon Prime.

I don't know if anyone else has found this, but it is so easy to inadvertently fall for this. I did.

Fortunately, I noticed it in time and have managed to cancel immediately, hopefully without having lost any money.

However, I find these tactics on Amazon's behalf to be unacceptably underhand. My mother-in-law also fell for this ploy but was unaware of what she had done. Marge discovered her mistake later and ensured it was cancelled without any further payments.

I'd advise any members who shop on Amazon to take care.
It comes up every time you order anything. I ignore it & click on the don't want it. I really don't order enough to warrant doing it anyway.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top