Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Re: Terrible bridge collapse -Italy

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Some more here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ses-Genoa.html
Thanks for the link.

Did read somewhere else that the company who operates ALL the toll roads in Italy and also run this bridge that their shares drooped 6%.

So It makes me more worried when I drive over the Dartford Toll Bridge/QE2 Bridge which is bloody high I look straight ahead with my hands gripping the wheel and sh*t my self when driving over it.

I drove over it this morning am so pleased that the news came over the radio AFTER I had crossed over

And the QE2 bridge its also run by a private company.

I will have to give it a miss till I get my bottle back
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
Thanks for the link.

Did read somewhere else that the company who operates ALL the toll roads in Italy and also run this bridge that their shares drooped 6%.

So It makes me more worried when I drive over the Dartford Toll Bridge/QE2 Bridge which is bloody high I look straight ahead with my hands gripping the wheel and sh*t my self when driving over it.

I drove over it this morning am so pleased that the news came over the radio AFTER I had crossed over

And the QE2 bridge its also run by a private company.

I will have to give it a miss till I get my bottle back
Me too. I have to stay in the middle lane.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 10:17 PM

An unusual design, watching on news now it is reported there was on going maintenance. Italian politician is we quoted as saying he wants the names of all involved in repair work and that nobody should lose their life like this.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 10:35 PM

Could the weaknesses in structure have been affected by some seismic tremors? It's not that far from the earthquake zone.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 10:56 PM

Guess that will be part of the investigation. A plausible theory.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:21 PM

What a tragedy, such an awful thing to happen
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2018, 11:42 PM

It is absolutely awful but so were the earthquakes that destroyed so many beautiful towns. We were travelling in the quake zone a couple of years ago, so sad to see some amazing towns deserted and devastated.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 08:45 AM

Unimaginable isn't it . The sight of the collapsed bridge breaks my heart . Those poor people.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Bruv ->
The bridge was built in the 60s and was repaired in 2016 and major repairs in 1990s.

How on earth can an industrial country have such a catastrophe ?
Hi

Simple, we had Grenfell here.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2018, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Could the weaknesses in structure have been affected by some seismic tremors? It's not that far from the earthquake zone.

Speculation on my part, but since Bridge was struck by lightning just prior to its collapse, could the lightning have brought about metal fatigue which turns metal into a crystaline structure which is very brittle. Any subsequent vibration from the traffic is possible to cause the metal to fail completely.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top