Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:04 PM

What Makes You, You?

Your brain? Soul?

Do you sense that you exist beyond the physical realm of your body?

If we can make brains in labs (apparently we are trying), are those people? Do they have rights? If they are just brains, is it ok to kill them off when the research is done?

If a lab brain is created and is a person, are we obligated to grow them a body?

These are troublesome questions for me. Sometimes science needs a hard course in ethics.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 11:11 PM

Re: What Makes You, You?

If you have no interest in growing a brain, you have to question, what drives a peer, to want to grow one?
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 12:02 AM

Difficult to answer Surferbabe.
As scientists need to understand more about brains. I am tired tonight, but I will come back to you on this issue.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 12:54 AM

I do happen to believe we exist beyond the physical, Surfermom, and so I would say it's our soul that makes us who we are Plus life experiences too.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 03:28 AM

I think it's our social identity. In terms of a lab grown brain I hope it would give someone who has lost their identity a way of getting it back.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 08:22 AM

Is it the environment you are born into....and your family that makes you who you are.....

I once read we have a genetic memory too that can't be escaped but can be built on...interesting question. So it's your ancestors and all their experiences that have brought us to this place.....YOU
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I do happen to believe we exist beyond the physical, Surfermom, and so I would say it's our soul that makes us who we are Plus life experiences too.
Originally Posted by summer ->
Is it the environment you are born into....and your family that makes you who you are.....

I once read we have a genetic memory too that can't be escaped but can be built on...interesting question. So it's your ancestors and all their experiences that have brought us to this place.....YOU
I agree with both of those answers.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 09:10 AM

Nobody knows the correct answer to that question. It's for you to figure out for yourself.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 10:13 AM

Easy to answer.

What are little boys made of?
Frogs and snails,
And puppy-dogs' tails;
That's what little boys are made of.

What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice,
And all that's nice;
That's what little girls are made of.

I can confirm this as Ive seen my x rays.

I think what makes you, you is your life experiences.
From the moment you are born you learning things which you rely on during your life which affects what and how you do things. This continues on throughout your life.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 10:28 AM

I think it comes down to our thoughts (so ultimately our brain). Our thoughts are our own.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top