Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 06:14 PM

Chaos!

Chaotic situations.

Today I went shopping for the monthly food but I was by myself, Mrs. F being at work.

Because there are various things we need from different supermarkets, I needed to visit three shops for most of our provisions.

First of all I went to Aldi. Not because I'm tight but because they have some very nice continental foods that the other supermarkets charge the earth for. And they are delicious. I've been there before with my wife and I'm quite happy to push the trolley while she spends my wages. I'm also wary of what's going on around me too. You really do need to pick the right time of the day to shop there.
Today I didn't.
The pensioners were long gone and back at home eating their Garibaldi biscuits as it was approaching school leaving time (on a Friday) and the place was rammed with women with prams full of sprogs with another couple of toddlers in tow flying around the shop shouting and bawling, which encourages the obese mother to do the same. Fine. No worries, I can tolerate that having got two (sometimes three) grandkids of my own.

But then there was the checkout, which sends me hyperventilating into a psychedelic whirl of utter confusion as firstly I am told to "Put your trolley the right way round thank you!" and then at supersonic speed the checkout operator scans and throws my food items into a space no bigger than a dinner tray. I tried to back my bags at the same time but that was impossible.
"You don't come here very often do you?" the bespectacled headmistress enquired of me. "I'm usually with my wife" I said as I tried not to think about wanting her head on a pointed stick to throw tomatoes at. "Throw it all in your trolley and go to the shelf at the back and then pack your
bags". I paid, gave her a scowl and duly obliged. Cutting this short, that was only the savory items, I had to go back into that temple of hell and fire to then buy all my frozen and chilled stuff. This time it was better as I was now an expect at Aldi shopping but I really couldn't wait to get out of there. I got to my car, unloaded the bags and sat inside wishing I could regain the five years and grey hair I had just lost.

Next I went to Tesco, which in comparison was dreamlike. Still loads of teenagers about but it was lovely and free and easy as I ventured down those wide aisles loading my three-wheeled trolley (the fourth wheel just spins vigorously round and round). The checkout was beautiful. I know them all anyway 'cos my wife works there. "Any help with your packing?". "Have a nice day", etc. Sorted. I didn't bother with Asda as I needed a coffee fix desperately so went home.

Now before I'm accused of being sexist (again), is it me or do women take all of this in their stride?
I know my wife loves her part-time job there as she can natter about Jennifer's awesome rhododendron bush or about Mr and Mrs Bailey's Nile Cruise. But women do cope better in these situations don't they?

Getting to the point then:
What are the chaotic situations you are faced with and how do you cope? Supermarkets, airports, car parks? Whatever.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Re: Chaos!

mmm, feel sorry for you there Floydy, but I don't have any problems in Aldi, the Cashiers are very friendly and ask how I am, do I need any help etc. and they always wait for me to put my shopping on the Conveyor belt before starting the check-out.

I always go at 8am when they open the doors, that way there are only about 6 of us in the shop.

Morrison's I use the self till because I don't buy a lot in there.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 06:41 PM

Hi

I live about 12 houses away from the school entrance, which is on a tight bend.

I do not even try to venture out in my car between 8.30 and 9.15 in the morning and 2.45 to 3.330 pm.

It is a complete nightmare.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 06:44 PM

Easy, supermarkets I go to on either a Monday or Tuesday at about 11.00am when it seems it's usually really quiet. Also buying enough for two weeks, fully stocking the fridge, freezer and food cupboard saves another visit next week so halving the awful shopping experience!

Better still find a supermarket that's open 24/7 and shop at about 10.00pm, if of course you are not working!

I park the car on the outer edge of the car park to save those trolly scrapes and dinks from people who don't give a s*** about other cars. That way I also get some much-needed exercise too, that's in addition to walking around an enormous supermarket with 45 checkouts, gives you some idea of the size of the place!

Airports, well never been to one so have no idea about that. Rather stressful if what I regularly hear from those who go to those places is anything to go by.

Keep up the good work Floydy, you know you really like it!
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 07:16 PM

I can't go to Aldi, for the very same reasons you list. I feel so stressed by the time of getting out and then having to get the £1 coin back out of the trolley.

Council ! Phoning the Council.

Starts off simple enough with a local dialling code number, so one thinks that although it during the day, land line will be cheaper.
Answered very quickly, but wait, .... we then have to go thorough various options. Initially giving us all the ways of contacting them and suggesting that by internet is the best option, followed up by giving the website. This is eventually followed by a recorded message giving a long list of options for telephone enquiries .. press , 1 for this, 2 for that, up to 5. Realising the dept. number I need is number 2, I press number 2 on my handset.

So, the music begins, but fairly quickly the ladies voice who has never changed in 15 years, comes back to me again. More options given , press 1 for this, 2 for that 3, etc. Once again , I need to press number 2.
That done the voice message says " we are currently experiencing high volumes of calls " and then the music kicks in.. wait, wait, until another automated voice comes back repeating " we are currently experiencing a high volume of calls ". Your waiting time is 15 mins.

With that the phone slams down. Two hours later, I went through the same process again... on and on and on, until " we are currently experiencing a high volume of calls " Your waiting time is 13 mins.

A third attempt was going to be 16 mins.

It's always the same and so it carries on, but I gave myself a days rest today. All the telecommunications code for customer care has disappeared . It 'always was, answer the phone in 4 rings. if you don't you get a bollocking.'

That's my bone of contention.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 07:37 PM

I did chuckle over your fraught shopping trip. Sorry, Floydy.

I don't like Aldi either, though I have been in a couple of times. We shop at several supermarkets. I guess women are better at coping than some men.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 09:53 PM

I love Aldi, its dirty cheap and decent food. The staff are right friendly and helpful in ours.

I'm a bit cheeky lately and going to Tesco at a time when I know they sell stuff off cheap, only last night I got a french stick for 11p. I used to wonder what was going on when I saw all the Asian people hovering round then I realised it was a particular time that they reduced items so I thought sod it, I'll join 'em. I did get mad one time when I saw this woman putting tons of one item in her trolley not giving anyone else a chance to have any, thats just rude and greedy and I told her so, not like me really but I was right mad.

Also I'm with Puddle on the phone thing, I feel like swearing and get right mad when all I want to do is talk to a human!

Glad you got home in one piece Floydy lol
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 09:59 PM

Enjoyed your post Floydy, that's one of the problems you encounter if you haven't retired yet....I can usually pick the best time to do the shopping. Mrs Fox gets so stressed when it's busy but I don't mind. In fact I like doing the shopping, only the people without peripheral vision get to me when they change direction suddenly or just stop without warning.

I mainly shop in Tesco, just because it's nearest, so I've got to know most of the staff there and it's nice to have a catch up with them. I carry a couple of large plastic boxes (left over from my courier days) that just fit inside the trolly, and I always use the hand scanners which means once I've scanned the shopping into the boxes there is no need for it to come out again until I unpack them at home....simples!
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 12:37 AM

I think my most chaotic situation is when the grandchildren stay over & I have to get them off to school.
Not only do I have to get them up & dressed & fed - but myself as well!! And all before 8.30 am.

Finally I get them bundled in the car & drop them off at their respective schools 2 miles away. Anybody who's done the school run will know the stress of trying to park - the fights for parking spaces. It's not so bad with big kids who you can just drop off but little ones who you have to deliver to the classroom - it's a nightmare.

I need a good hour to recover when I get home and that's the truth!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Chaotic situations.

Today I went shopping for the monthly food but I was by myself, Mrs. F being at work.

Because there are various things we need from different supermarkets, I needed to visit three shops for most of our provisions.

First of all I went to Aldi. Not because I'm tight but because they have some very nice continental foods that the other supermarkets charge the earth for. And they are delicious. I've been there before with my wife and I'm quite happy to push the trolley while she spends my wages. I'm also wary of what's going on around me too. You really do need to pick the right time of the day to shop there.
Today I didn't.
The pensioners were long gone and back at home eating their Garibaldi biscuits as it was approaching school leaving time (on a Friday) and the place was rammed with women with prams full of sprogs with another couple of toddlers in tow flying around the shop shouting and bawling, which encourages the obese mother to do the same. Fine. No worries, I can tolerate that having got two (sometimes three) grandkids of my own.

But then there was the checkout, which sends me hyperventilating into a psychedelic whirl of utter confusion as firstly I am told to "Put your trolley the right way round thank you!" and then at supersonic speed the checkout operator scans and throws my food items into a space no bigger than a dinner tray. I tried to back my bags at the same time but that was impossible.
"You don't come here very often do you?" the bespectacled headmistress enquired of me. "I'm usually with my wife" I said as I tried not to think about wanting her head on a pointed stick to throw tomatoes at. "Throw it all in your trolley and go to the shelf at the back and then pack your
bags". I paid, gave her a scowl and duly obliged. Cutting this short, that was only the savory items, I had to go back into that temple of hell and fire to then buy all my frozen and chilled stuff. This time it was better as I was now an expect at Aldi shopping but I really couldn't wait to get out of there. I got to my car, unloaded the bags and sat inside wishing I could regain the five years and grey hair I had just lost.

Next I went to Tesco, which in comparison was dreamlike. Still loads of teenagers about but it was lovely and free and easy as I ventured down those wide aisles loading my three-wheeled trolley (the fourth wheel just spins vigorously round and round). The checkout was beautiful. I know them all anyway 'cos my wife works there. "Any help with your packing?". "Have a nice day", etc. Sorted. I didn't bother with Asda as I needed a coffee fix desperately so went home.

Now before I'm accused of being sexist (again), is it me or do women take all of this in their stride?
I know my wife loves her part-time job there as she can natter about Jennifer's awesome rhododendron bush or about Mr and Mrs Bailey's Nile Cruise. But women do cope better in these situations don't they?

Getting to the point then:
What are the chaotic situations you are faced with and how do you cope? Supermarkets, airports, car parks? Whatever.
Do you really want my Asda tales?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top