Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 06:19 PM

Mp3 players

I used to have a ton of these before, like almost everyone else, switched to using a phone for my music.

I still have a green iPod Shuffle dating from 2011 and I've been using this since I got my free headphones from Sennheiser this week as it has a 3.5mm jack. Before that I couldn't use it as I had gone totally wireless with my bluetooth head and earphones. But it has 250 of my favourite songs on it and still holds a good charge.

Then there are players out there still costing hundreds sometimes a thousand or more for the audiophile but it's really a very niche market nowadays.

Do you have one, and do you still use it?
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 06:31 PM

Re: Mp3 players

All the time Ffosse,I love my MP3 player and it works perfectly with the most amazing sound. Once I eventually know how to use these bloomin technical thingamingy things, I don't ever want to change it. Besides, it has loads of songs by my all-time favourite singer - Etta James.

The sound is really pure, probably aided by the very expensive Bose headphones that the kids very kindly pooled together and bought me for my 70th Birthday not long ago.

I wouldn't be without it.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 06:37 PM

I still have an ipod which is much better than having to stick a headset into the phone. It's tiny and also you don't waste the phone battery. I have found the sound quality isn't as good as the earlier models.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 06:57 PM

Playing back stored mp3 files actually uses very little power, less than almost anything else the phone can do.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 07:16 PM

I have an MP3 player as well as my phone, because my phone is a bit large to fit into my pocket when I am at the gym. I don't like being interrupted while doing my workout, too. The MP3 player is Bluetooth only - no earphone wire to snag on the weight machines - and the sound quality is fantastic. It even came with a sort of arm strap that I can slot it into and then velcro around my upper arm while training, which is really handy. Only £30, which is money well spent.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2019, 08:51 PM

I have a Pioneer XDP-100R and a Cayin i5, which are hi resolution players. So, can play normal mp3, lossless and high def.

They're a world apart from playing music via a phone, as they are dedicated to music, unlike a phone which is a jack of all trades. Some phones can't even drive a good set of high impedance headphones.

Kinda like chalk & cheese really. They're not cheap, but I love my music, so are worth it to me.

https://www.pioneer-audiovisual.eu/eu/products/xdp-100r

https://en.cayin.cn/products_info?itemid=87
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-03-2019, 12:15 PM

I can't tell the difference in sound between mp3 at 320 on a phone and high res files played through high end equipment. As I've got older the higher frequencies have gone.

I listen to a mix of aac and flac using good headphones and I can't tell which file is flac. Luckily my phone has 256GB to store music on it and I'm sitting at 93.1 GB used.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I used to have a ton of these before, like almost everyone else, switched to using a phone for my music.

Do you have one, and do you still use it?
Yep, I have a now aging but relatively small Sony Walkman NWZ-A15 (I think that is right), I still use it even though everything it does my phone can do too but my phone is not as loud! I use the Walkman every morning on my walk listening to the ABC News and AM current affairs broadcasts.

I use my phone for Spotify but my Walkman has all MY music on it. Rather than using earbuds I tend to use my Sony Noise cancelling headphones or my Flip 4 (and Bluetooth) with both now except on my morning walk.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I can't tell the difference in sound between mp3 at 320 on a phone and high res files played through high end equipment. As I've got older the higher frequencies have gone.

I listen to a mix of aac and flac using good headphones and I can't tell which file is flac. Luckily my phone has 256GB to store music on it and I'm sitting at 93.1 GB used.
I have a similar problem can't tell the difference between the original CD and the 128mhz quality MP3 copy anymore

Not sure if my new hearing aids make any difference.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh

24-03-2019, 12:36 PM

Strange, though, I can tell the difference between a 128mhz mp3 and a 320mhz, I think 128 just takes away too much detail. I've got the Bowers and Wilkins PX Bluetooth headphones which are pricey but very good. I can't tell the difference between these and a wired set of equally good quality.

I've also got a pair of Sennheiser PXC-550 headphones and these are my go to pair for listening to most things as the BT connection is very fast. They sound slightly different but just as good as the PX.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top