Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 10:24 AM

Re: Christmas Holidays

Christmas Eve - Family celebration for 18 people at our local pub/restaurant (In aid of my birthday)

Christmas Day - Lunch at our sons house. Our lovely daughter in law Paula is cooking for her own parents too. Along with 2 children & themselves this should be quite a lively gathering.

Boxing Day - Tony & I traditionally like to go a winter walk. When we return from the walk I pack a suitcase. We're going on a Twixtmas break by coach to Llandudno on the 27th - 30th.

I can't see any of these plans changing unless one of our daughters decides to invite us on Boxing day - in which case we'd forego the walk.
Ethel
England
Ethel is female  Ethel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 10:29 AM

I am taking Christmas off It’s the norm for me to cook for seven, our son moved house and wanted to have first Christmas in their new house. We could go to them but We said no as it would mean son and wife sleeping on floor for 2 tonight’s. They will come to us for New Year. Us well we are off to Torquay, looking forward to being waited on.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
The only reason I do Christmas is because I am with the grandchildren so I become the child again as we go out into the night on Christmas eve as we look for Santa and the reindeers . The excitement and the magic comes alive in their eyes. Then Christmas day I usually cook the dinner for daughter and family ( their kitchen , which is a blinking nightmare to work in) but I do it because I want a decent meal otherwise my daughter burns or overcooks the meat till its dry and turns the vegetables into watery mush . Her knifes are always blunt and searching for saucepans and things drive me blinking bonkers and I also need alcohol.to help me get through the hundreds of presants that fill the lounge as I wonder just how many hundreds of £ s have been spent this year . It takes a very long time to watch the girls open presant after presant then discard it for the next one . Usually I get a bottle of baileys which I drink as I smile remembering how my two children were lucky to get maybe 6 small wrapped gifts from father Christmas. But it is Christmas day and I want the girls to be happy and excited so I pour another glass of baileys as I peel the potatoes and season the meat humming Carols .

Then on boxing day I say my farewells and run like hell home to the peace and quiet of my little home which doesn't even have a sparkle or a bauble or a flashing light .

I open a nice bottle of wine and think thank God that's over for another year
Good post and honestly described Susan......You'll do for me.....
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 11:32 AM

Hoping to be on holiday in Spain .
I can't bear the hype here.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 11:44 AM

Sis probs coming for a nice breakfast on the 25th, then after she leaves to spend two days with her daughter, it’ll just be me and Holly. I expect I will see to the cats again.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 11:48 AM

I love Christmas, perhaps not the commercial side but the way it makes me feel...
On Christmas Eve I'll follow Mrs Fox down to the church for midnight mass, I'm not all that religious but enjoy the mile walk down to the church, and meeting some locals from the village who I only get to see at Christmas....

On Christmas Day Mrs Fox and me will exchange presents early on, with carols playing on the radio. Christmas dinner at the golf club with our daughter and hubby, then back home for a kip after a dip into the nuts or quality street bowl...

Granddaughters will arrive for tea, and afterwards while Mrs Fox and me watch Zulu or Jason and the Argonauts the rest of the family will be preoccupied with their smartphones or tablets, only interrupted by the occasional laughter and "Have you seen this?".....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 12:07 PM

Open house. All being well the Memsahib will be cooking things that our neighbours don't usually see at their homes such as honey cake.

Not the stodgy English thing, this is a layered sweet thing of unabashed unctuousness that would probably score a perfect ten in the euthanasia cook book! It's a bit like a Mille Feuille but with many more layers. Then Napoleon cakes, another sorta Mille Feuille but fewer and thicker layers and the cream filling very different.

Actually anything with far too many calories, sugar, cream, cream cheese, such as assorted Rugelach, they look like croissant but stuffed.

Then there's her savoury strudel. Salmon and cream cheese strudel, steak strudel, chicken strudel, cold and cut into slices. The woman goes ape-shit!

And booze. Nothing fancy, just alcoholic. And sausage rolls.

We do OK, based on everything being eaten or bits being taken home over the three to four days so do our neighbours and visitors!

Good.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 12:56 PM

Christmas is just another day here, the animals still have to be seen to so we both work in the morning, light lunch then out with the Clydes if the weather permits. Home to a big dinner then the evening in front of the telly.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I will be hiding away as much as possible until the whole ghastly proceedings are over .
Me too Meg! Over the last few years I have tried to make sure Christmas didn't exist at my house. No decorations, cards, presents,but we have had roast beef for lunch & I am amazed at how relaxing it has seemed!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2019, 01:29 PM

Hi

Nothing planned yet.

If the Pretendies are here then it will be Christmas Eve at Sabrinas, Polish meal of fried carp and the kids get their presents.

If Guy is here then Christmas Day will hopefully be with him, just the two of us.

My Ex is quite forceful, he may have to go to her place in Suffolk to keep the peace.

It is all very fluid.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top