Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Re: No longer allowed to express our opinions?

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
My thoughts on that were simply that to me BrExit means leave the EU and they objected to that perhaps being Remainers. I simply do not know any more with the way this country is going, it's 'down the tubes' as far as I can see and I am sure that's not the way many in the 'older age group' ever thought it would be.
But the sticker was ANTI-Brexit Baz, that would mean that the policeman would have been FOR-Brexit...if he took offence.

Personally I think it would have been the 'Bollocks' that the drivers were being reprimanded for and nothing to do with the political statement. The police were quite right to stop them and make them remove the word....You can't (or shouldn't) drive around displaying bad language on your vehicle, it's the thin end of the wedge....What next? Another example of the media taking it all out of context...
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 12:01 PM

I have seen that sign in loads of places .
Don’t tell the police are turning into snowflakes too?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
Exactly. It’s a distraction which could be dangerous to other drivers. Period.
I agree. It would be a distraction. It is more than likely that the driver also got shirty about it and is now trying to turn the tables to his own advantage.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 12:19 PM

I find it interesting that a certain midget, who was once the Speaker in the House of Commons, had the very words "Bollocks to Brexit" plastered on his car.
I have heard no reports of the police stopping him and trying to make him remove it. I wonder why.

I'm afraid that the situation today is that public opinion of the police is at an all-time low. The cause? I have always thought that the root cause could be found at the doorsteps of the senior officers who are really pushing PC-ism these days, but perhaps there are also problems lower down the pecking order.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
But the sticker was ANTI-Brexit Baz, that would mean that the policeman would have been FOR-Brexit...if he took offence.

Personally I think it would have been the 'Bollocks' that the drivers were being reprimanded for and nothing to do with the political statement. The police were quite right to stop them and make them remove the word....You can't (or shouldn't) drive around displaying bad language on your vehicle, it's the thin end of the wedge....What next? Another example of the media taking it all out of context...
Ok I see now what was meant, thanks OGF. Honestly though are there not more important 'crimes' going on in this country that need attention. If drivers are distracted by something like that, compared to what else happens while driving, then should they themselves be on the road? As I've just posted in another thread, the only time I see police is when three of them turn up at my door with bad news! The amount to the police from my Council Tax increased more than it did for anything else and yet we never see them. Cars are being stolen in these quiet villages, houses are being burgled and yet not even one police car is seen!

The 'village bobby' here, a very helpful officer retired last year and was not replaced. Another open invitation to the 'no-goods' that they can do what they want, helping themselves to what others work damned hard to buy!

Maybe I am just having an 'anti-police day' today and on seeing the news item I started this new thread. However, I make no apology for stating we do not see police in these outlying rural villages, that is fact!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 07:28 PM

It is the wording used that would have fallen foul of the law, not the political message behind the wording. You are not allowed to publicly advertise adverts, slogans, political message that use profanity as many people still find the use of profanity as being offensive, and as such it falls under 'public order offence', this is why you never see billboards or posters in the streets with swear words on them. You might find some that have a play on words like the clothing design house FCUK. No radio or Television advert is allowed to use profanity. Exceptions have been allowed in the past BUT they have been instructed to only be played after 9pm or 10pm.

The message on the car was being used to advertise a political statement about Brexit and as such profanity is not allowed BUT naturally, the car owners and the media want the issue to suit their narrative which is to try and make the viewing public believe the police are trying to shut down peoples opinions on Brexit which they are not.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 07:58 PM

Thanks for all your opinions and posts. However, the message received plenty of publicity, far more than it otherwise have done thanks to our 'laws'.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I find it interesting that a certain midget, who was once the Speaker in the House of Commons, had the very words "Bollocks to Brexit" plastered on his car.
I have heard no reports of the police stopping him and trying to make him remove it. I wonder why.

I'm afraid that the situation today is that public opinion of the police is at an all-time low. The cause? I have always thought that the root cause could be found at the doorsteps of the senior officers who are really pushing PC-ism these days, but perhaps there are also problems lower down the pecking order.
I also find it interesting that you can hear that word quite regularly on Radio4 along with a load of other obscenities.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
It is the wording used that would have fallen foul of the law, not the political message behind the wording. You are not allowed to publicly advertise adverts, slogans, political message that use profanity as many people still find the use of profanity as being offensive, and as such it falls under 'public order offence', this is why you never see billboards or posters in the streets with swear words on them. You might find some that have a play on words like the clothing design house FCUK. No radio or Television advert is allowed to use profanity. Exceptions have been allowed in the past BUT they have been instructed to only be played after 9pm or 10pm.

The message on the car was being used to advertise a political statement about Brexit and as such profanity is not allowed BUT naturally, the car owners and the media want the issue to suit their narrative which is to try and make the viewing public believe the police are trying to shut down peoples opinions on Brexit which they are not.
Good post Dodge, it's what I think.....
Sorry to hear you are having a bad police day Baz.....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

I think it was his wife's car. But I think it's tantamount to having f'off on your car. I have a feeling it's not legal to have rude words or images on your car. I mean if you chose to have a topless photo or nuddy man pic you'd be pulled over sharpish.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top