Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 07:56 PM

Re: New Police idea

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I just had a notification from the local police today, saying they are planning to train 160 local hairdressers and beauty professionals on how to spot signs of domestic abuse.

What do you think about this idea?
Would these "professionals" really risk grassing up their customers and losing business?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 08:06 PM

I know ladies' hairdressers chat away incessantly but they don't actually listen to anyone. It's all about their boyfriends and where they are going on holiday.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 08:54 PM

I guess though that the idea is to shorten what is known as the time before a victim of domestic violence actually reports to police what is happening. It's reckoned that on average women (and men too as it happens to men) undergo violence by their partner 37 times before a report will be made. Anyone can imagine how much damage that does, not only physically but emotionally and mentally too. That could well be the aim as women are known to chat to their hairdressers so may, in that way, find it easier to make the necessary allegations to get herself out of that situation.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 11:35 PM

I just had a notification from the local police today, saying they are planning to train 160 local hairdressers and beauty professionals on how to spot signs of domestic abuse.

What do you think about this idea?

Personally, I am not sure if it is such a good idea.
I know lots of ladies talk to their hairdressers about personal things, it's a girl's bit of 'me time' and they relax.
But wouldn't it be fairly obvious if someone was suffering, from their conversation?
Or even more obvious, if the professional spotted something like bruises or wounds?

Maybe I'm wrong, but not sure if the time and money could be better spent?
I would say it's a form of abuse in itself. Just my opinion. yes you can have a nation of informants but if a vulnerable woman cannot feel safe talking to a hairdresser or beautician then we are living in a very sad place. Do women want to be spied on at the hairdresser? It's funny that when victims of abuse do contact the police they do nothing. That is what they should be focusing on, doing something when women do come forward.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2019, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
I guess though that the idea is to shorten what is known as the time before a victim of domestic violence actually reports to police what is happening. It's reckoned that on average women (and men too as it happens to men) undergo violence by their partner 37 times before a report will be made. Anyone can imagine how much damage that does, not only physically but emotionally and mentally too. That could well be the aim as women are known to chat to their hairdressers so may, in that way, find it easier to make the necessary allegations to get herself out of that situation.
That is their choice. There may be all sorts of reasons that they do not report abuse. People in this situation are extremely vulnerable and just what are police going to do if a hairdresser suspects abuse? I think hairdressers should be allowed to do their job and the state should not keep trying to offload responsibility for other areas onto people who are not paid to do this.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I would say it's a form of abuse in itself. Just my opinion. yes you can have a nation of informants but if a vulnerable woman cannot feel safe talking to a hairdresser or beautician then we are living in a very sad place. Do women want to be spied on at the hairdresser? It's funny that when victims of abuse do contact the police they do nothing. That is what they should be focusing on, doing something when women do come forward.

Good post Annie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->

Interesting point of view, Baz.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

27-11-2019, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
That is their choice. There may be all sorts of reasons that they do not report abuse. People in this situation are extremely vulnerable and just what are police going to do if a hairdresser suspects abuse? I think hairdressers should be allowed to do their job and the state should not keep trying to offload responsibility for other areas onto people who are not paid to do this.

I feel much the same Annie.

Is it really their place to betray a confidence? Just supposing the 'victim' is exaggerating or even telling porkies because her and her fella had a few words?

Also, the 'victim' may not thank the hairdresser for getting the police involved! It could make her situation even worse, or even put the hairdresser herself in danger!

No, all in all, I think it not a good idea.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2019, 12:31 AM

I feel much the same Annie.

Is it really their place to betray a confidence? Just supposing the 'victim' is exaggerating or even telling porkies because her and her fella had a few words?

Also, the 'victim' may not thank the hairdresser for getting the police involved! It could make her situation even worse, or even put the hairdresser herself in danger!

No, all in all, I think it not a good idea.
My thoughts entirely - it only needs someone with a grudge to falsely accuse someone about something they had supposedly done.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

27-11-2019, 12:47 AM

But perhaps they are not looking for words but training these people to look for bruises or wounds. Again not IMO the job of a hairdresser or beautician. I've had a recent (almost) self-inflicted hand injury (almost healed) and pretty much the vet, the hairdresser and the GP have all mentioned it (although the latter is because she had the Urgent care centre report). But if it were a domestic violence incident and not my own stupid freak DIY accident I would certainly not want them to get on the phone to the police. That is against human rights and all sorts of confidentiality laws. Women are not children that are under the care of social services. It's like some sort of demeaning lowering of status of the female to someone who does not have a brain.

I'm not sure why I find this so offensive. But it is. It reminds me of the way OH was treated when under section. Like you have no brain and no rights.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top