Join for free
Page 74 of 239 « First < 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 > Last »
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Re: The Pages of Punch

1960: Roof Racks

I remember roof racks. I suppose car boots were far too small to accommodate standard size luggage when going on holiday to places like Cornwall. The drawing here accurately demonstrates this. Nowadays we usually get enough space.

Those who want to take even more stuff with them now can have something different. I don’t know what it is called but it looks like an upturned boat enclosed in rigid shell. This makes it much more aero dynamic than those clunky arrangements that are illustrated in this cartoon. You don’t see many of those around anymore.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2016, 09:44 AM

1960: His Preference

She knows perfectly well why he is ‘listening’ to the shell.
Mr Magoo
London

05-08-2016, 09:44 AM

1960: Doctor’s Home Visit

The doctor is too short in stature to attempt a standard stethoscope examination of the patient in the upper bunk bed. The artist has not only shown him as short but also made the gap between the beds larger than really necessary. The rope ladder between the two berths has just come unstuck presumably because the doc is too heavy.
Mr Magoo
London

06-08-2016, 09:54 AM

1960: The Prevalence of Smoking.

This joke doesn’t exaggerate too much the amount of social smoking that used to go on at that time. As a non-smoker myself I used to find this trying not only at parties but at business meetings when nearly everyone would tend to light up when anything really difficult came up for discussion.

Looking back my impression is that the medical profession as a whole were still poo poohing any suggestion of a link between smoking and cancer. It was around that time that I saw a TV discussion on the subject. The earnest young man who spoke of this risk managed to outrage a spokesman for a tobacco company by describing him as a corporate drug peddler. Nowadays those companies would not put forward anyone as a spokesman.
Mr Magoo
London

07-08-2016, 09:47 AM

1960: Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

The elderly gent has just been carved up by a vehicle which is far less expensive than his. I expect that the old gent could drive much faster if her cared to. His Rolls would have had all the power that would have been needed.

Are we to assume that the cartoonist mean us to think that the miscreant really was an Old Etonian? I very much doubt it.
Mr Magoo
London

08-08-2016, 09:33 AM

1960: Industrial Relations

As far as my memory goes industrial relations began to feature in the news in the early seventies. Because strikes were so frequent broadsheet newspapers found it necessary to employ industrial correspondents. These people would explain the intricacies of differentials, gradings and the internecine feuds of different trade unions. This cartoon, appearing as early as 1960, causes me to revise this impression.

The cartoon itself reflects the upper middle class bias of the magazine. The union official is depicted as self-important and quite prosperous. The pickets are not disposed to trust him. I suspect that this is just wishful thinking on the part of the management.

The pickets and the official are all wearing head gear which don’t coincide with my recollections either.
Mr Magoo
London

09-08-2016, 09:50 AM

1960: Three for the Price of One

The public-spirited citizen realises that this is a case in which all three services are needed for the same emergency. Burglar jokes have always been a stock in trade in the pages of Punch. The miscreant sportingly wears a mask so that everyone will know what he is.
Mr Magoo
London

10-08-2016, 09:41 AM

1960: Beatniks

Beatniks as early as 1960? I wasn’t aware of them until 1967. I can recall the actual occasion.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2016, 10:41 AM

Interesting. It made me think about when did the now-common 'teenage rebellion' actually begin. Of course, beatniks weren't the first; we had teddy boys, mods and rockers before that, and probably others even earlier although I'm not sure what they called themselves.
In any event, young people dressing in a peculiar fashion to demonstrate that they know better than older people(!) is probably a 20th Century phenomenon.
Mr Magoo
London

11-08-2016, 09:44 AM

1960: A Perfect Match

This drawing suggests a happy convergence of two mutually compatible interests. I don’t see any hidden agenda at all here.

That hairstyle used to be called the beehive, didn’t it?

Page 74 of 239 « First < 24 64 72 73 74 75 76 84 124 174 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top