Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:26 AM

Oh Yeah! WW2, What was life like back then?

On a different topic, there were postings suggesting that some "History" would be worth a spin, on the Forum.

One thing, which those interested in the UK History of how life was during WW2, might like to have a look at is here:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peopleswar/categories/

This is a set of short written descriptions of experiences of the lives of ordinary people during that time.

Over 40,000 accounts.

Mostly written quite a while ago.

I have one in there, but I'll not say which!

You might be surprised to find a record from your own family, in there!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 05:02 PM

Re: Oh Yeah! WW2, What was life like back then?

No Interest?
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 05:24 PM

I was only 2 years old when it started Ted so I don't remember much about it. We stayed near an airfield and I remember we used to count the aircraft taking off. I also remember we found a part that had fallen off an aircraft returning.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 05:35 PM

I think a history forum would be great .
I wasn’t born until after the war but it’s all makes interesting reading .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
No Interest?
Some of us have to work.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 08:06 PM

Just reading about the Jap POW - riveting stuff.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 08:10 PM

Very interested in anything historical. But I to need to still work to pay the bills. Still chipping away at the pension target!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

20-01-2021, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Very interested in anything historical. But I to need to still work to pay the bills. Still chipping away at the pension target!
Seventy-eight days until I get my pension.

My brother bought me a countdown clock two years ago, and it sits in pride of place on the mantelpiece. The two years have certainly flown by.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2021, 11:05 PM

It must have been really frightening. Air raid sirens, rations, power cuts, bombing raids, evacuations. When we had the first lockdown I remember being very much afraid of what might happen. But that is nothing compared to what people went through during the war. Just waking every day not knowing whether normal life would carry on.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

21-01-2021, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
It must have been really frightening. Air raid sirens, rations, power cuts, bombing raids, evacuations. When we had the first lockdown I remember being very much afraid of what might happen. But that is nothing compared to what people went through during the war. Just waking every day not knowing whether normal life would carry on.
And that's just one set of examples of how life was affected by a major event (war).

I found it sad that the teaching of history, at my school, was all about learning royal names & dates.

Useful for pub quizzes, but never really got the feeling, of the population , through the various wars and Pandemics.

Hence dumped History when the chance came.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top