Join for free
Page 15 of 33 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 12:14 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Had a new one on me this morning, (01865679003), from some guy rabbiting on about the high cost of funerals, and how to take out a plan. When I asked where he got my number from, he hung up. The vultures are circling! That joins the many others on my phone blocked list!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Had a new one on me this morning, (01865679003), from some guy rabbiting on about the high cost of funerals, and how to take out a plan. When I asked where he got my number from, he hung up. The vultures are circling! That joins the many others on my phone blocked list!
Unfortunately, there is an infinite number of numbers awaiting your blocking them!

I don't bother with that, as they'll still come through on other numbers. I just leave my answerphone to listen to them and record their messages (almost invariably ending in the "press 1" instruction!). Then, once a day, I delete them.

If I hear a genuine voice being recorded, naturally I then pick up the receiver.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 12:43 PM

Fake NHS Vaccine Message!

Spammers are sending out what looks like a genuine NHS message saying something like "we have identified that you are eligible to apply for your vaccine....."

As usual, for scams, it asks you to click a link, and then goes for name, address, & bank details to "verify your billing address"
NHS Never asks for Bank details.

If someone does ask, assume SCAM.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 05:13 PM

Thanks Ted, useful to know because the sods are getting very clever.....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 10:22 AM

Mrs mart got a convincing looking e-mail from Virgin Media yesterday asking for £27. Also asking her to set up a direct debit for this amount. Although the message looked the part with false account numbers and all, a couple of things lead to it being ditched straightaway.

* Mrs mart doesn't have an account with Virgin Media.

* The email header hidden under Virgin Media's name showed it wasn't from them. It was some obscure email address originating in another country.

If anyone is a VM account holder, it would be possible to be fooled by the email.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Mrs mart got a convincing looking e-mail from Virgin Media yesterday asking for £27. Also asking her to set up a direct debit for this amount. Although the message looked the part with false account numbers and all, a couple of things lead to it being ditched straightaway.

* The email header hidden under Virgin Media's name showed it wasn't from them. It was some obscure email address originating in another country.

If anyone is a VM account holder, it would be possible to be fooled by the email.
Thanks for the heads up Mart. It's getting difficult to trust anybody these days.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->

They got the price right too...

except for one thing. This month it has gone up to £37.
The robbing b*****ds.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 05:26 PM

I just received this warning today from Neighbourhood Alert, and although it's perhaps common sense to some, I think we need to still keep on our toes with these crooks.

Here goes:

" Would-be car thieves target people selling their cars.

Anyone selling a car, particularly at the higher end of the market, is advised to watch out if a potential buyer asks to check the keys, as thieves are swapping working remote key fobs with non-functioning sets in order to steal vehicles.

Thieves show an interest in buying vehicles that are advertised for sale on AutoTrader and other local selling pages. Whilst examining the car, they ask to look at the spare keys. they then distract the seller and swap the spare keys for a fake set, which they return to the seller

On Friday last week (January 22) A Silver Mercedes Benz E250 AMG was stolen from HANGERFIELD CT, Northampton, the vehicle was advertised and two men went to view the car.

One of the men asked the owner for the manual spare key to check it was working.
The Mercedes had an electronic fob with a metal key which could be used manually in case of electronic failure.
The seller later discovered the remote key would not operate and was a different one from the original handed over to the buyer.

Anyone who is selling a car either online or in traditional publications please be aware of the distraction technique.

There is a very clever distinctive scam happening in which rogue buyers are removing a set of keys and replacing them with another set which does not work.
The offenders are then leaving with the functioning set and plan to return to steal the vehicle."
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 06:38 PM

My god ..that's terrible, what kind of minds do these low life have?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

29-01-2021, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I just received this warning today from Neighbourhood Alert, and although it's perhaps common sense to some, I think we need to still keep on our toes with these crooks.

Here goes:

" Would-be car thieves target people selling their cars.

Anyone selling a car, particularly at the higher end of the market, is advised to watch out if a potential buyer asks to check the keys, as thieves are swapping working remote key fobs with non-functioning sets in order to steal vehicles.

Thieves show an interest in buying vehicles that are advertised for sale on AutoTrader and other local selling pages. Whilst examining the car, they ask to look at the spare keys. they then distract the seller and swap the spare keys for a fake set, which they return to the seller

On Friday last week (January 22) A Silver Mercedes Benz E250 AMG was stolen from HANGERFIELD CT, Northampton, the vehicle was advertised and two men went to view the car.

One of the men asked the owner for the manual spare key to check it was working.
The Mercedes had an electronic fob with a metal key which could be used manually in case of electronic failure.
The seller later discovered the remote key would not operate and was a different one from the original handed over to the buyer.

Anyone who is selling a car either online or in traditional publications please be aware of the distraction technique.

There is a very clever distinctive scam happening in which rogue buyers are removing a set of keys and replacing them with another set which does not work.
The offenders are then leaving with the functioning set and plan to return to steal the vehicle."
On the other hand, some sellers must be absolutely stupid.

If we were selling our car privately, the keys would never leave my hands. A buyer would be welcome to look at the car inside and out and even come for a test drive - as a passenger with me driving. I wouldn't dream of handing over the keys.

Page 15 of 33 « First < 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top