Join for free
Page 23 of 42 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 09:43 PM

Re: Foxy's Latest Project.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Excellent and very carefully made work, OGF.

Now to make it waterproof!

I suppose some form of varnish or paint would do it, or do you plan to cover it in some sort of material?
Thanks JB, I appreciate your observation....

I don't think it will be possible to make it 'Waterproof' JB, but I will certainly be looking to make it water resistant, just in case I get caught out in the rain.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Over the last couple of days I've been designing a way of fixing the control box containing the electronics to the shaft of the detector. It had to clamp to the shaft in any position ( depending on the height of the user) And it couldn't be slid onto the shaft from the top due to the handle. So I came up with this......

And it will fit like this....

And this is the overview...

Awesome craftsmanship Sly old grey fox! It’s coming together nicely!
When’s our first treasure hunt?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 10:14 AM

Over the last couple of days I've been designing a way of fixing the control box containing the electronics to the shaft of the detector. It had to clamp to the shaft in any position ( depending on the height of the user) And it couldn't be slid onto the shaft from the top due to the handle. So I came up with this......

That's very impressive, and very neat. It shows off lots of your diverse skills.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Awesome craftsmanship Sly old grey fox! It’s coming together nicely!
When’s our first treasure hunt?
Thanks Minx, still a way's to go yet but looking out of the window now, it's just started snowing again here and the temperature was minus 3 C when we went out for our Saturday shop earlier. So it's going to be a while before the detector gets a trial run in the field so to speak, so I can spend more time tarting the thing up...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-01-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
That's very impressive, and very neat. It shows off lots of your diverse skills.
Thanks Fruitcake, I'm nothing if not 'diverse'...

And 'Perverse' sometimes but that's for another thread....
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 01:49 PM

Looking good there Bob, all credit to you on your skill, inventiveness and craft. 👍
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 03:16 PM

This was my late Dad. If the tide was in, he fished. If the tide was out, he went detectorating.

The thing in his left hand is a sand scoop, purpose made and shop bought.

It's a bit like a large metal food scoop, full of round holes, perfect for scooping up dry sand that would then run out leaving any solid object less than about 10mm behind. Good enough to catch any coin or rings etcetera.

In the picture, the bottom is facing forwards, the sides curl round leaving the top open.

I'm guessing you won't be detecting along the *cough* sandy beaches of the River Don, (that was the second most polluted river in the UK when I lived in Donny), but with your skills you could make or modify something to do the job just as well.
It worked perfectly on dry sand, and still worked on wet sand as well, but needed a bit more effort to shake it through.
Many people just use a trowel or folding shovel as well.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-01-2021, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Looking good there Bob, all credit to you on your skill, inventiveness and craft. 👍
Thanks for your nice comment Barry, much appreciated...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-01-2021, 09:38 PM

What a great photo of your Dad Fruitcake, I hope that I will be following in his footsteps one day.... Perhaps not on the beaches of the river Don...Although in my lifetime the environmental agency have worked wonders with the river and cleaned it up to such a degree that there are now fish living in there. I regularly see anglers on the banks in summer.

The scoop looks like a great idea, and one that I may copy for my future beach excursions. Once I get the thing working I've had an idea for one that works underwater, I don't think many people will have detected the beds of shallow ponds and streams.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

24-01-2021, 12:40 AM

What a great photo of your Dad Fruitcake, I hope that I will be following in his footsteps one day.... Perhaps not on the beaches of the river Don...Although in my lifetime the environmental agency have worked wonders with the river and cleaned it up to such a degree that there are now fish living in there. I regularly see anglers on the banks in summer.

The scoop looks like a great idea, and one that I may copy for my future beach excursions. Once I get the thing working I've had an idea for one that works underwater, I don't think many people will have detected the beds of shallow ponds and streams.
There was a TV prog called River Hunters that did exactly what you suggested. They had to get permission for each "hunt" but turned up some amazing stuff.
Musket balls made from the leaded windows of a castle under siege.
Offerings to gods thrown from bridges and fordings, including a Bronze Age axe head.
Coinage old and new.
Industrial ironwork.
(Far too much) metal litter from bedsteads to beer cans.

Have you thought about making a small pin-pointer detector as well? These are usually about the size of a small torch and used to find metal in a shovel full of spoil, or a handful of mud.

Page 23 of 42 « First < 13 21 22 23 24 25 33 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top