Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 09:11 PM

Re: Self-Scan

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
You need to have a Tesco club card to use the self scanners, Pauline.
I think the first time you use one of the self scanners, an assistant registers you/your club card to use the machine and when you pay for the first time there is an assistant who checks about 10 random items in your basket/trolley. I have had a go at it, but found it took me more time than it did to go through a checkout, especially when it's not too busy. Happy medium for me is the self checkout which, when you get used to it, is pretty quick.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I think the first time you use one of the self scanners, an assistant registers you/your club card to use the machine and when you pay for the first time there is an assistant who checks about 10 random items in your basket/trolley. I have had a go at it, but found it took me more time than it did to go through a checkout, especially when it's not too busy. Happy medium for me is the self checkout which, when you get used to it, is pretty quick.
I had already had a club card for years when they brought in the self scan. I didn't try it for quite some time after it started, but there was no assistant involved when I finally did. I usually buy a couple of bottles of wine, which have to be approved; if it weren't for that, I would normally be through the checkout in a flash, apart from those occasional random checks. Most people still use the conventional checkouts, but I vastly prefer the self scan system.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 10:22 PM

I've been using the self scan for years at our local Tesco Harbal, and it's brilliant. It doesn't impact on any jobs because the same number of manned tills are still in operation because most people are afraid of using the self scan, and there are still a couple ladies overseeing the self scans. Being selected for a check is very rare, and it's still faster than going through the conventional tills.

I can relate to your embarrassment Harbal. During the first lockdown we had to progress round the store in a one way system and as we passed the wine shelf there was a long queue for people waiting to be allocated a till. The ones with a hand scanner were called through. I was called through and remembered I had a bottle of red wine on the list so as I shuffled past the queue I quickly grabbed a bottle and stuck it in the top of my trolley.

I approached the checkout and emptied my scanner into the barcode and hailed an assistant to authorise my wine. At the same time I had been selected for a recheck.....I forgot to scan the wine.....
The assistant was quite understanding when I explained the situation and the rest of my trolley was correct. But that feeling of guilt stayed with me for quite sometime and has made me a lot more thorough when scanning my purchases in future....
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've been using the self scan for years at our local Tesco Harbal, and it's brilliant. It doesn't impact on any jobs because the same number of manned tills are still in operation because most people are afraid of using the self scan, and there are still a couple ladies overseeing the self scans. Being selected for a check is very rare, and it's still faster than going through the conventional tills.

I can relate to your embarrassment Harbal. During the first lockdown we had to progress round the store in a one way system and as we passed the wine shelf there was a long queue for people waiting to be allocated a till. The ones with a hand scanner were called through. I was called through and remembered I had a bottle of red wine on the list so as I shuffled past the queue I quickly grabbed a bottle and stuck it in the top of my trolley.

I approached the checkout and emptied my scanner into the barcode and hailed an assistant to authorise my wine. At the same time I had been selected for a recheck.....I forgot to scan the wine.....
The assistant was quite understanding when I explained the situation and the rest of my trolley was correct. But that feeling of guilt stayed with me for quite sometime and has made me a lot more thorough when scanning my purchases in future....
It is definitely an uncomfortable feeling to be caught in possession of an unscanned item, Foxy, but I find the embarrassment dimishes with each incident. We are only human; we make mistakes. They must realise that, and if they don't, then sod them. I am turning into a proper badass when it comes to self scanning.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2021, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
It is definitely an uncomfortable feeling to be caught in possession of an unscanned item, Foxy, but I find the embarrassment dimishes with each incident. We are only human; we make mistakes. They must realise that, and if they don't, then sod them. I am turning into a proper badass when it comes to self scanning.
Yer, I'm over it now Harbal..... I always wondered what would happen if I had forgot to scan something and now I know. I have seen the odd customer taken aside now and then and feel sorry for them, especially if they feel like I did on that morning. I wonder if the computer monitors your usual spending activity and flags it up if there are differences. I know that your coupons usually represent the things you buy.
I also buy my diesel from the Tesco....So they know how far I drive, they know that I've got a cat, and they know how much milk I drink and food I eat. They even know what my favourite tipple is...
Harbal
South Yorkshire

23-01-2021, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Yer, I'm over it now Harbal..... I always wondered what would happen if I had forgot to scan something and now I know. I have seen the odd customer taken aside now and then and feel sorry for them, especially if they feel like I did on that morning. I wonder if the computer monitors your usual spending activity and flags it up if there are differences. I know that your coupons usually represent the things you buy.
I also buy my diesel from the Tesco....So they know how far I drive, they know that I've got a cat, and they know how much milk I drink and food I eat. They even know what my favourite tipple is...
I think the worst thing they could do to a persistent non scanner would be to ban them from using the service. It doesn't matter what you don't scan, or how often you don't scan it, they could never prove it was intentional.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have never tried those self scan things - wary of them - they may beam me up into a parallel universe!
They never work for me & every time I've tried to use them, which isn't often, I had to call for help. They are scary.

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I haven't tried them either ST .

The price of the goods I pay for in the supermarket has factored in the cost of wages.
I am not employed by the supermarket neither do I wish to see till workers deprived of their jobs and more tills becoming self scan therefore when I eventually come out of self isolation and use supermarkets I will continue to select my goods and have an assistant deal with them
I agree & I prefer to have a human doing it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 12:22 AM

I don’t like self scans l argue with them, the same as l do with sat navs.
The worst, were the ones that either greeted you, or sang to you at Christmas!
I always, ask for a human to serve me.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 12:49 AM

Life will become a whole lot easier when shopping trolleys have scanners built into them.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-01-2021, 06:11 AM

I confess that I would resent the random check. For that reason, would rather go through the self-check aisle.

Oooo, this could be the new dating technology!

Everyone who wanted to participate would be given a scanner and clip their printed out QR or bar code on their shopping cart.

If someone liked what they saw, no one would have to say a word, eliminating all that unnecessary small talk and averted glances . There would just be a furtive smile and a quick painless scan.

Likes, dislikes, and attributes would come up on their screen. With one of two simple buttons - Like - thumbs up, dislike thumps down, sorting could be done while selecting cereal in aisle six. Mutual thumbs up and contact information would be shared !

Think of it as the modern version of meeting someone in the produce aisle. Imagine the efficiency!

One stop shopping!

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top