Join for free
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 08:43 AM

Probiotic Supplements

Hi all,

Does anyone on this forum use Probiotic Supplements, not just the Yogurts but Tablets. I have heard they are good for Anxiety and Depression, I know they are suppose to be good for your Gut as well.

Please let me know what one's you are taking and have you seen any improvement.

Susie xx
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 09:02 AM

Re: Probiotic Supplements

Tony I take them as a sort of insurance because I read somewhere that healthy body = healthy mind.

I would be interested in the thoughts of other members..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 09:26 AM

I buy and take the Yakult supplements on an irregular basis. Whether they do any good I have absolutely no idea, they don't seem to do any harm.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi all,

Does anyone on this forum use Probiotic Supplements, not just the Yogurts but Tablets. I have heard they are good for Anxiety and Depression, I know they are suppose to be good for your Gut as well.

Susie xx
We take Kefir at least once a day ... with fruit and on our weekly curry. Because we enjoy it, and because it's said to be good for the gut.

Kefir Is a More Powerful Probiotic Than Yogurt
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...otent%20source.

... from Poland, £1.45/litre at Tesco
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 09:55 AM

dOOd, that sounds very good, I will look into that and speak with my GP, because of the Insulin and Tablets I take.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 10:11 AM

In my heart health support group there are doctors and nutritionists and rather than taking food supplements which might be an addition to a poor diet, the thinking is that it is better to eat a wide variety of health foods cutting out anything processed and refined sugars in order to produce a rich microbiome .
https://ep.bmj.com/content/102/5/257

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...ome-and-health
Eat a diverse range of foods: This can lead to a diverse microbiome, which is an indicator of good gut health. In particular, legumes, beans and fruit contain lots of fiber and can promote the growth of healthy Bifidobacteria (48Trusted Source, 49Trusted Source, 50Trusted Source, 51Trusted Source).
Eat fermented foods: Fermented foods such as yogurt, sauerkraut and kefir all contain healthy bacteria, mainly Lactobacilli, and can reduce the amount of disease-causing species in the gut (52Trusted Source).
Limit your intake of artificial sweeteners: Some evidence has shown that artificial sweeteners like aspartame increase blood sugar by stimulating the growth of unhealthy bacteria like Enterobacteriaceae in the gut microbiome (53Trusted Source).
Eat prebiotic foods: Prebiotics are a type of fiber that stimulates the growth of healthy bacteria. Prebiotic-rich foods include artichokes, bananas, asparagus, oats and apples (54Trusted Source).
Breastfeed for at least six months: Breastfeeding is very important for the development of the gut microbiome. Children who are breastfed for at least six months have more beneficial Bifidobacteria than those who are bottle-fed (55Trusted Source).
Eat whole grains: Whole grains contain lots of fiber and beneficial carbs like beta-glucan, which are digested by gut bacteria to benefit weight, cancer risk, diabetes and other disorders (56Trusted Source, 57Trusted Source).
Try a plant-based diet: Vegetarian diets may help reduce levels of disease-causing bacteria such as E. coli, as well as inflammation and cholesterol (58Trusted Source, 59Trusted Source).
Eat foods rich in polyphenols: Polyphenols are plant compounds found in red wine, green tea, dark chocolate, olive oil and whole grains. They are broken down by the microbiome to stimulate healthy bacterial growth (60Trusted Source, 61Trusted Source).
Take a probiotic supplement: Probiotics are live bacteria that can help restore the gut to a healthy state after dysbiosis. They do this by “reseeding” it with healthy microbes (62Trusted Source).
Take antibiotics only when necessary: Antibiotics kill many bad and good bacteria in the gut microbiome, possibly contributing to weight gain and antibiotic resistance. Thus, only take antibiotics when medically necessary (63Trusted Source).
SUMMARY:
Eating a wide variety of high-fiber and fermented foods supports a healthy microbiome. Taking probiotics and limiting antibiotics can also be beneficial.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 10:51 AM

My word I do. I think they are great. I really noticed an improvement in my stomach comfort.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Hi all,

Susie xx

Yes I do, Susie.

I think it started a long time ago when I was on a course of Antibiotics. I knew the antibios killed bad bugs, but they also kill the good 'friendly' ones too, so I started some Pro-biotics to put the good bugs back. (I do the same for my dogs too).

There are quie a few different sorts of probios though, as well as Pre-Biotics and Pro-Biotics, so it can get confusing.
They are helpful for advice too.

https://www.naturesbest.co.uk/digest...ra-10-billion/

I also buy from Healthspan. I have the 10 billion one.

https://www.healthspan.co.uk/search-...sort=relevancy

I also found this review site which you might find of interest.
I haven't read it all yet though, so keeping an open mind.

https://trustworthy-reviews.com/lps/...SAAEgLsVPD_BwE

*P.S. Susie,

Natures Best say their 10 billion ProBios contain the equivalent of 20 pots of live yoghurt.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

*P.S. Susie,

Natures Best say their 10 billion ProBios contain the equivalent of 20 pots of live yoghurt.
Wow that should give a very healthy gut!

I'm going to get some.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Wow that should give a very healthy gut!

I'm going to get some.

But do we need 20 pots of yoghurt every day?

I think they are good if you have been on antibiotics, but as an ongoing, long term dose, I have changed to the 4 billion dose now - equivalent to 4 pots of live yoghurt i believe.
I am hoping that will be sufficient for now.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top