Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dlboxerdog
New Member!
Stacy, MN
dlboxerdog is female 

12-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Another blind Boxer

I have been a subscriber to Dogsey for a few years, although I have lost contact, once I got a new computer with a new program and I couldn't find Dogsey in my favorites list.

This invitation to rejoin Dogsey with my age group is too wonderful to pass up. So many of the younger members are into breeding their dogs, and that makes my fur rise.

As a long time rescuer of Boxers, I know that there is a definite dedication and back ground of science necessary to breed the best dogs. And, in this economy, the best breeders are not breeding. It is difficult to read in Dogsey, about people who are breeding, and, who seem to me, to have no concrete knowledge of why they are breeding except to have little Daisy have the experience of having puppies.

In fact, one of my last posts to Dogsey was addressed to a person in England who had allowed her dog to reproduce, and I questioned why. It was rejected as being too critical and personal.

This is who I am. I am a 64 year old registered nurse whose specialty is surgery. I am a widow. My husband died 12 years ago. I live by myself in the country, in MN. There are no leash laws. I live on a dead end road, and none of us on this road care if our dogs occasionally visit each others yards. One of my 4 Boxers has an issue with being mounted by a black Lab that lives on the edge of the forest. If they are out, I do not let my dogs leave the fenced yard. BTW, my fenced yard is 2 acres. The third acre is not fenced, but includes a river. If the black Lab is not out, my dogs enjoy swimming in the Sunrise River. And, so do I.

Of the four Boxers I have, three are rescues. One is an AKC registered reverse brindle dog I got as a puppy from very professional breeders. I pay over $1400 for her, and that was with my rescuer's discount. Her name is Layla, and she is spoiled rotten. I spent over $600 on her obedience training, thinking I would compete with her. Then, I decided I did not really want to compete. I have competed in obedience trials before, and I get very nervous. It's much like taking a final at the end of a semester of college. Layla is so totally beautiful. Her siblings have already completed their conformation points and are champions. She melts my heart, even two minutes after she has eaten my underwear or destroyed my shoes.

My other three are: Rocketdog, a blind therapy dog who goes to schools and lets children understand that being disabled does not mean being not capable of living a happy life.

Shelly is a 8 year old bitch with cardiomyopathy. She had several litters before it was discovered she had a heart problem. She has been with me for 4 years.

The last one is Lani. She is a puppy mill bitch who also has heart issues. She is very skittish, and still not house broken. She is two years old, and never had her tailed docked or her dew claws removed. I believe she was bred at the time of her first heat, which is not recommended for any dog. And, she was bred each time she came into heat from then on. Her nipple are very elongated, as if they have been used many, many times. She also was kept in a kennel. She is afraid of almost everything.

I know the title of this post is "Another Blind Dog:", and that is because when my daughter, also a Boxer lover, and I decided to adopt two more dogs, she originally wanted Lani, and I wanted Boogie, a recently blind Boxer who was 6 years old. I thought, since I have one blind dog, why not two? But, Boogie, being recently blind due to glaucoma, and recently neutered as well, was still very aggressive towards Rocketdog, who is blind and has been with me for years. I know it is somewhat funny to think about two blind dogs trying to fight, but they did, and there were wounds.

At the same time, my daughter and her family were suffering with Lani, the 2 year old puppy mill bitch. Her family is not used to young dogs, and they were not able to deal with her issues. My daughter and I decided to trade dogs. She took Boogie, who is doing well as the only dog in their home, and I took Lani.

I have a lot more patience with Lani, as well as a heated garage with a dog door for the dogs to use when they have to potty. She has learned the dog door, but, alas, the cold winters of MN, unlike the mild winters of Kentucky, where she is from, deter her from doing her job outside.

It will all be well in the end. Boogie is quite content with my daughter and her family. I am happy with Lani, although anxious for her to adjust to being a house dog.

And, as for being back to writing to Dogsey, I am overhwhelmed with happiness. A blessed Merry Christmas to all of you. Diana Lynn
jj'sgirl
Kent UK
jj'sgirl is female  jj'sgirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 09:55 PM

Re: Another blind Boxer

Hi and welcome to the over 50's pack
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 09:57 PM

Hello-nice to meet you-hope you enjoy the Over Fifties Forum.........
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 10:04 PM

Hello Diana and welcome to the oFFers club.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 10:58 PM

Hi warm welcome, good to meet you...
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2009, 11:23 PM

Welcome Diana

Dogsey is still going, this is a new site (and not just for dog lovers but for everyone ).

I completely agree about too many people breeding willy nilly. I have always wanted to do more for the cause and have an idea for a site that I think will be neat - will post more as and when I know more

Hope you enjoy it here!
Louise
New Member!
Australia
Louise is female 

12-12-2009, 11:30 PM

Welcome to the forum.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2009, 12:20 AM

Welcome to the OFF and it is nice to meet you.

Take care.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2009, 01:37 AM

Hello Diana welcome ..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-12-2009, 12:15 PM

Hello Diana welcome to our lovely forum...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top