Join for free
Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:21 PM

Re: Jealousy

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
What would be the point, of being Rich & Famous, if there were no poor people around to be jealous of you?

Never ever thought of life in that way.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I have to disagree, if you have worked damn hard all your life what is wrong with showing what you have achieved?
I am proud of what I /we have got seeing we started off with less than nothing(Sue owed on her car with HP to finish paying off). Just shows nothing is impossible if ones mind is determined enough

is the "have nots" that a jealous of those that "have"
I have re-read your opening post RS and notice you have edited it. I now gather you are talking about your jealousy and having "the can't afford syndrome"

Me? not having what I was striving for yet others had got, but now not any more which brings contentment.
unfortunately jealousy can bring out the worst in people in the way they react to others making their lives a misery.
All I can say is both my father and my husband were hard workers, both spent all their working years with the same Company (in my father's case it was 51 years) and were well respected which was shown in their retirement. Never have I ever known either to be jealous of anyone or anything.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
All I can say is both my father and my husband were hard workers, both spent all their working years with the same Company (in my father's case it was 51 years) and were well respected which was shown in their retirement. Never have I ever known either to be jealous of anyone or anything.
Mags, I quite understand that. My father was the same side. Respected and given respect.
I wish all the family would have been of the same ilk. Regrettably, not all was.
That's life.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Me? I've never been jealous but I have been envious on occasions but that's OK.

ENVY, like greed, is good. It motivates people to get or get more.
Envy IS jealousy. They are synonymous.

Neither envy nor jealousy are good. People who are excessively greedy are evil &@$%ers. They’ll step on anyone to get what they want because they don’t give a $&#% about others or how they feel. In summary, they think they are better than others and more deserving.

Therefore I respectfully disagree.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:59 PM

Glad the subject has credited quite a response
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Mags, I quite understand that. My father was the same side. Respected and given respect.
I wish all the family would have been of the same ilk. Regrettably, not all was.
That's life.
Your father sounds very similar to mine, Besoeker.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

19-10-2020, 06:18 PM

Maybe jealousy can be more associated with the younger generation do you think?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Maybe jealousy can be more associated with the younger generation do you think?

Quite possibly.

And I can remember when jealousy was just an enchanting girly emotion.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->

Neither envy nor jealousy are good. People who are excessively greedy are evil &@$%ers. They’ll step on anyone to get what they want because they don’t give a $&#% about others or how they feel. In summary, they think they are better than others and more deserving.

Jealousy is not the same as envy. There is no emotion involved in envy. As for people who are excessively greedy how is that possibly evil?

Or what is wrong with doing what it takes to get what you want and not giving a damn about others or how they feel?

As for feeling better than others or more deserving - that has nothing to do with it. It's just about getting what a person wants.

Probably best described as living in a dog-eat-dog world. I recognised that seventy years ago and it's stood me and my family in VERY good stead.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2020, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->

Envy is pretty straightforward.

Jealousy, by comparison, is an extremely emotional and baseless (?) state of mind. Sounds dramatic and it can be, but in the Latin world jealously is regarded perfectly natural and good.

EDIT to add question mark after baseless.

Page 5 of 8 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top