Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 04:50 PM

Lawn edging against stone/brick

This is me this afternoon clipping the edges of my lawn with garden scissors.

There has to be a better way!!!

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 04:56 PM

Re: Lawn edging against stone/brick

Well at least you have a lovely day, Carol! I remember from childhood, someone used a long handled pair of trimmers, that meant the person could stand easily and trim the edging. This helps having to to stoop or otherwise hurt your back. Don't know if they are still made now, but its worth a look.

Edit: This is what I was talking about.....would they help?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/HANDLED-GAR...8502128&sr=8-5
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 05:14 PM

I had some of those Pixie until the went blunt.

They weren't all that brilliant as I had to have one of the blades touching the brick to make a good job of it & it took ages..
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 05:17 PM

A strimmer perhaps?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

A small cordless weed eater would be my recommendation, but I am not sure you could improve on what you are doing with all that exercise, care, and time outdoors on such a pretty day!
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

how about a strimmer
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

Hmm, ok, well that's a bit rubbish for you then. I can't think of anything - other than getting electric ones, or borrow Swimmy's gardener!
macywack
north west, england
macywack is male  macywack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 05:18 PM

cor blimey three of us posted at the same time with same answer
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

15-04-2021, 05:47 PM

I thought about a strimmer but wouldn't the wire break when it touched the brick?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2021, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I thought about a strimmer but wouldn't the wire break when it touched the brick?
Sometimes but you get used to how close to get. The good ones just feed more cord out anyway. I do my log edge with a strimmer and it saves so much time, much quicker than the scissors. I wasn't sure first of all so I bought a second hand one for a fiver on Preloved...... Still got it, just bought some more cord in fact. You can do all sorts of edging with a strimmer although it does take a little bit of getting used to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top