Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 06:11 AM

This Might Save Your Life...

...or it might just get your car going in an emergency.

I knocked up a solar charger for my car battery for less than $15 (£7) using a cheap generic 20A solar controller ($11 from eBay), an Anderson plug and a piece of scrap wood.

My car has a 100w solar panel on its roof which normally charges the aux battery via a quite sophisticated charger which can use power from the alternator or the solar panel to keep my fridge running and power a 200watt pure sine wave inverter.

However I have had this el cheapo solar charger for ages, bought when I was experimenting with solar panels some time back. It's a PWM type and hence not very efficient but who cares?

Anyway I was clearing out my garage when I came across a couple of wired crocodile clips cut from an ancient Halfords half wave rectifier battery charger which dates back to the 1960s and which failed in a very exciting way many years ago.

Seeing this old wire and clips in my 'useful box' made me think that, combined with the solar charger, it could be an emergency battery charger on the road (in the middle of nowhere) or just a float/top up charger using the 40w solar panel currently languishing on the car port roof when the car is not in use.

As you can see there is bugger all to it but it works and I have set the parameters to suit the ordinary (flooded) lead acid car battery but they can easily be changed to suit a Gel or an AGM battery. I would not recommend it for a lithium battery though.

Anyway it is something light to throw in the tool box and which could get you out of serious trouble before your water runs out.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6396.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	7617  
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 10:47 AM

Re: This Might Save Your Life...

Interesting although tbh I can't see a need for me personally I ring my husband to bring his works van or the rac to get my Jeremy going. Haven't had to do that yet with Jeremy but had a car years ago I think I was recover more times than I had hot dinner over a period in the summer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 11:56 AM

To be honest I will probably use it as a float/top up charger because in a real emergency I could start the car from my aux battery using jumper leads. That is not a good way to treat a deep cycle battery but it should get the car going in a real emergency situation if you are hundreds of km from help.

I could also carry a 20 or 40 watt solar panel in the tray just in case the 100w roof mounted panel was damaged by hail for example.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	180303 007 Car Solar Mods.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	7619  
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 10:57 PM

Bruce that's really interesting because I am wondering why we cannot have dual fuel solar charged cars. I don't mean the battery but the fuel.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2018, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I knocked up a solar charger for my car battery for less than $15 (£7) using a cheap generic 20A solar controller ($11 from eBay), an Anderson plug and a piece of scrap wood.

Not many vehicles here come with solar panels on the roof.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-10-2018, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Not many vehicles here come with solar panels on the roof.
They don't here either, you have to fit them yourself but no need, just carry a panel in the boot, they are cheap enough.

I have a couple of 40 watt panels thrown up on my car port roof that I use to keep my batteries charged when my camper and/or car are not being used - for example when I was recently overseas for a month.

Even on cloudy days it is surprising how much power they can provide it might be less half an amp but that is enough to float a 12v battery
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-10-2018, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Bruce that's really interesting because I am wondering why we cannot have dual fuel solar charged cars. I don't mean the battery but the fuel.
It is not practical because the area of panels you need to run a car is enormous. just look at the cars in solar challenges. This is some shots of the cars in the Darwin to Adelaide race each year as you can see they are very light, very streamlined and totally impractical as a passenger vehicle.

My 100watt solar panel is enough to run my portable fridge indefinitely (or so it appears) but the fridge averages less than an amp off a 125A/h deep cycle battery.

However if I was stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat battery a few hours charging in sunlight should give me enough charge to start the car.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top