Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:39 PM

Re: Teach YOURSELF To Swim - Using The Gravitas Method

I have tentatively promised myself a new year resolution, whether I keep it or not remains to be seen, I intend to learn to swim I can go to the only pool which is at Skei Hotel 6 miles away . My wife goes mainly for physio. but also swims a bit there, not a large pool but enough for me , very little used especially first thing in the morning.
So we will see.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Lovely photos Meg and well done to her parents. My son has been taking baby Jaxon swimming since he was 2 months old, the baby that is, not my son

My son was also swimming very early in his life, and at 4 years old he somehow or other got into a swimming race for 12 year olds and won them. We were never quite sure how he got mixed up in the race, but he was disqualified anyway as he shouldn´t have been there.
poohdog
Nottinghamshire UK
poohdog is male  poohdog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:43 PM

I found learning easy....it was getting out the sack was the problem!
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Wouldn't work for me i have a morbid fear of water over my face. All stems from nearly drowning at 3 years old in an uncles pond. it was a 5 year old cousin pulled me out so I am told.
What is it with kids drowning in any water available.

A similar thing happened to a brother of mine, but for my eldest brother happening passed at the time, he would have drowned.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I was taught to swim by my dad who threw me in at the deep end and then filled up the pool.
Ouch!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 05:00 PM

I learned at age 11 self taught with some friends, but I didn't become a strong swimmer until my mid to late teens. This was on account of having a fear of water because of my brother pushing my head under in the pool when I was about five or six. He thought it was funny, I was terrified. I don't do diving or deep underwater swimming to this day.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 05:08 PM

My children both had swimming lessons and my daughter got her mile badge at the age of eight. My son was a much slower learner but does swim well.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Norway ->
I have tentatively promised myself a new year resolution, whether I keep it or not remains to be seen, I intend to learn to swim I can go to the only pool which is at Skei Hotel 6 miles away . My wife goes mainly for physio. but also swims a bit there, not a large pool but enough for me , very little used especially first thing in the morning.
So we will see.
Good luck Norway, I hope you do it.
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 11:26 AM

As a retired swimming teacher/tutor/coach and Adult/baby swim teacher, can I just say that the younger the better!

Babies are born with the automatic reflex that shuts breathing down under water (just like they can automatically suck and cry). They lose that reflex at around nine months old.

Any child that goes to an Ad/Baby class before the age of about 8-9 months takes to it with no problem - it tends to be the adult who's nervous, and that nervousness is picked up on by the baby.

My daughter (also a qualified adult/baby swim teacher) took her son to the pool where she worked when he was four weeks old (and as he was six weeks premature, that makes him -2 weeks!). To start with it was just for a few minutes each time, but they've gone swimming every week since then and he now often refuses to get out after an hour!

He's just turned four years old, and earned his 25m badge six months ago. And this morning he told me that when he's six he wants to go to the Olympics and beat Michael Phelps!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 12:45 PM

One thing I really do want to do is learn to swim properly.
I'm okay doing a few lengths of breaststroke but my technique is terrible and I get out of breath so quickly. I can't even tread water, I just sink!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top