Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Re: Teach YOURSELF To Swim - Using The Gravitas Method

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
One thing I really do want to do is learn to swim properly.
I'm okay doing a few lengths of breaststroke but my technique is terrible and I get out of breath so quickly. I can't even tread water, I just sink!
I would say I am (or was) a reasonably good swimmer, but I remember once on holiday, watching a black American guy swim in the hotel pool. His style was superb, hardly a ripple as he torpedoed across the pool. Even the hotel lifeguard was seriously impressed. I wonder if it's possible to learn that or whether it's in built?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:08 PM

I don't do Municipal Pools, you never know who's relaxed their Swim Bladder in the water.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I don't do Municipal Pools, you never know who's relaxed their Swim Bladder in the water.

That's as bad as someone I know who refused to swim in the sea after seeing my dog having fun in the waves. He climbed over the groyne to swim in a "different part".
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Me neither,the last time I used Our local pool years ago, I developed a bad case of athletes foot.yuck. ..not been back since...swimming in the sea is preferable..pollution or not
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 02:03 PM

Both my kids learnt to swim as babies and both later swam for Yorkshire, they only gave it up because it was so time consuming and interfered with their studies.

There are all sorts of advantages to swimming not just fitness there is research that kids who learn to swim early have better concentration levels. Its also beneficial for asthma sufferers, Leeds lad Adrian Moorhouse suffered badly from asthma and won a gold medal at the Olympics in 1988
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
One thing I really do want to do is learn to swim properly.
I'm okay doing a few lengths of breaststroke but my technique is terrible and I get out of breath so quickly. I can't even tread water, I just sink!
Breastroke is fine IF it's been learned correctly, and the swimmer has warmed up by doing 200-300m (at least) of frontcrawl first.

Breastroke is far and away the WORST stroke for causing injury, especially when swum with poor technique (mostly an uneven leg kick, what people incorrectly call a "screw kick"). You could also be laying down future rheumatic/arthritic problems.

In that respect it's even worse than butterfly.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Deb W ->
Breastroke is fine IF it's been learned correctly, and the swimmer has warmed up by doing 200-300m (at least) of frontcrawl first.

Breastroke is far and away the WORST stroke for causing injury, especially when swum with poor technique (mostly an uneven leg kick, what people incorrectly call a "screw kick"). You could also be laying down future rheumatic/arthritic problems.

In that respect it's even worse than butterfly.
That's all I can do, Deb.
When I get the time I'll be learning to swim properly.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Gravitas ->
Over the years I occasionally hear parents talking about the problems in teaching their children (or kids as we call them these days) to swim. I've even heard some say they spend hundreds of pounds on doing so and a lot of time going to lessons.

I taught myself to swim when I was eight years old. Here's (briefly, for my sake more than yours) how I did it (or done it, as many insist on saying these days):

Stand in the pool away from the bar. Just far enough so you can push yourself off the floor to propel yourself to the bar (to grab hold of it). Now, do the same again but throw in a few superfluous strokes (strokes you don't really need to do to get there). You might not realise it, but you have just swum for the first time.

Congratulations! Do similar a few times and then gradually inch your way further out and repeat.

Happy swimming everyone!
LOL, that's how most of us learned to swim back then Gravitas. including swallowing half the pool in the process.

By the time I was 12 I was a strong swimmer, but will never forget the time one of my brothers who could also swim, and I, took three of my younger non-swimming brothers to our local indoor swimming pool. At the shallow end it was 3 foot deep which was fine for non-swimmers. it then went to 4 feet, 5 feet and 6 feet which was the deepest end of the pool and where I loved to swim.

Anyhow, during one of our outings, all five of us were in the shallow end and I couldn't swim properly because all the other non swimming children were instead splashing everywhere, so I asked my brother to keep an eye on the three younger boys so I could do a couple of lengths.

Off I swam, thoroughly enjoying myself, on the way back in the 6 foot end I then heard my 11 year old brother call my name and watched as he ran laughing along the side of the deep end, (I was in the centre of the pool) take a mighty jump to reach me and disappear under the water! I swam quickly to get to him, grabbed hold of a now panicking brother who was crying with fear, grabbing hold of me, trying to get on top of my head to keep himself afloat, I kept going under because he was too strong to stop him struggling and I was slowly drowning myself!! he was oblivious to this fact though as his every thought was just saving himself.

It's a good job some boys could see what was happening and jumped in to haul him to the bar at the side I had swallowed loads of water trying to tell him to let go and let me get him to the side (as he was trying to sit on top of me)

I was okay but really scared at the thought that he could have jumped in and I may not have seen him. There were no lifeguards at pools back then so am grateful to those boys.

I won't repeat what I told my little brother AND my older brother for not keeping an eye on him. Suffice to say, I never took them swimming again.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Both my kids learnt to swim as babies and both later swam for Yorkshire, they only gave it up because it was so time consuming and interfered with their studies.
That was the same for my daughter, at the pool at 7 a.m. every day for training before school, weekends were spent taking part in competitions for the school and County. She too gave it up because of looming exams and her desire to get good grades.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2018, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
LOL, that's how most of us learned to swim back then Gravitas.
Then why don't those instructing people on swimming tell them to do that? LOL

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top