Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
tony58
London, UK
tony58 is male  tony58 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 01:04 AM

Cat Deterrent

I wonder if anyone can help. I have a problem with cats doing their business in my garden. I'm trying to grow the grass, but the local cats keep fouling on the garden. I've tried various deterrents but to no avail. I actually like cats too, so I wouldn't want any harm to come to them. I just want to keep them out until the grass grows...
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:43 AM

Re: Cat Deterrent

1) Adopt a cat of your own - they are territorial and will keep others out.

2) Spray Citronella Oil in their favourite spots - they hate the smell.

3) Put Citrus peel around the place - untidy but effective.

4) Put a small length of hose pipe about - they'll think it is a snake and avoid the place.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:52 AM

I have three cats who have a cat flap and come and go as they please...problem is i have a neighbour who like you likes cats but dislikes the mess in their garden.

They have tried everything.to deter them including those sonic sound things citrus, coffee grinds and lots more but nothing worked.

They now at my recommendation have a water pistol and whenever they see them they give them a squirt....it's working
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 07:57 AM

An electric fence is the ultimate deterrent.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by tony58 ->
I wonder if anyone can help. I have a problem with cats doing their business in my garden. I'm trying to grow the grass, but the local cats keep fouling on the garden. I've tried various deterrents but to no avail. I actually like cats too, so I wouldn't want any harm to come to them. I just want to keep them out until the grass grows...
Get a dog.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:11 AM

Holly and anything else prickly with thorns, any prunings of this type placed around plants and anywhere you need to.
They do like bark mulch and gravel

I leave a bit for my cats toilet, they seem to go there, you have to clear it regularily. When I moved in there was cat poo everywhere in my garden, my cats have kept the locals out since we moved in. The dog is no help she likes all the cats!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I have three cats who have a cat flap and come and go as they please...problem is i have a neighbour who like you likes cats but dislikes the mess in their garden.

They have tried everything.to deter them including those sonic sound things citrus, coffee grinds and lots more but nothing worked.

They now at my recommendation have a water pistol and whenever they see them they give them a squirt....it's working
I agree with Summer! A water pistol will do no harm & I use one on my own cats, if they are out of reach but doing something I don't want them to,.... and it works!

Most cats like to bury their mess, so an alternative method is to make sure there is an unused patch of soil that is easy for them to create a hole in....away from your new lawn.
Good luck!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
The dog is no help she likes all the cats!
But do the cats like the dog?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:24 AM

They tolerate her and throw contemptuous glances her way.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 08:47 AM

Get yourself one of these

Contech Scarecrow Motion Activated Animal Deterrent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Contech-Sca.../dp/B005MW9VOM

Not in stock on the link above but hunt around and you'll probably find one or an equivalent.

It's a battery operated motion sensor device to which you attach your garden hose pipe and leave switched on.
The device keeps the water shut off until such time as something moves in it's field of detection and then when it does it lets forth fast burts of water spray.

The combination of the sudden noise and water send cats running. Check your water pressure though. Mine turned out not to be strong enough to create lareg enough jets of water.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top