Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Re: Regional greetings

I tend to get...Ey up...Now then....Ow do but luv is the most common around these parts.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:38 AM

Been A Loiner

Mainly Love to men or women

On the building sites I used to work on you would get two great big blokes calling each other love

such bonding
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
My Irish Grandma sometimes called me 'pet lamb', English (Lincolnshire) Granny used 'm'duck', my friend's Geordie husband calls me 'pet' or 'bonny lass'. My brother always called me 'cat' because I have very green eyes. I would not answer to 'baby' or 'babe' (sorry, Rhian) or 'honey' - they make me cringe.

But - any or all of the above are better than having my given name abbreviated.
Sorry, to all the members that use these words but like ST, l cringe and can’t bear, Hun, Hon or Honey.

Locally, it’s, My dear, young lady, luv, duck. It’s usually assistants in shops or Doctors receptionists!

I have heard men round here say to other men, mate bud, cocker, man.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:08 AM

I just say hello.

What I don't like is when people address me as 'squire'. It just feels wrong.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I just say hello.

What I don't like is when people address me as 'squire'.
It just feels wrong.

Hah. That made me remember m,y dear old Dad used to call the men 'Squire'.

One day I asked him why and he said it was like a term of respect.
So don't be too offended Mr. M.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
I just say hello.

What I don't like is when people address me as 'squire'. It just feels wrong.
Your avatar tends to lean slightly that way buddy
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
So tell me Judd, which is which?

For example - is 'Flower' for the youngsters or the oldies?
Flower is for women older than me
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 10:24 AM

It's a rare as radium to hear anyone called "duck", "love", or "petal" on this side of the shore.

Young men sometimes casually refer to each other as "man" or "dude." Both are less common among the older set. In Hawai'i they often refer to each other as "brah" (pidgeon English for "brother").

As I live in the southern U.S. people often call each other "sir" or "ma'am" often. It's still expected for young people to refer to their elders as such.

The plural is sometimes "y'all". It is a myth that anyone would every refer to just one person as "y'all".

It's a mild irritant to hear people refer to a collective group of people - with males and females included - as "you guys".

Referring to older people with any pet names like "honey" or "sweetie" always rings to me as being disrespectful.

I don't much care what people call me. My mother can't remember my name, so why should anyone else .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 10:34 AM

Up in the North we have many local terms of affection for each other.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-10-2018, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
It's a rare as radium to hear anyone called "duck", "love", or "petal" on this side of the shore.

Young men sometimes casually refer to each other as "man" or "dude." Both are less common among the older set. In Hawai'i they often refer to each other as "brah" (pidgeon English for "brother").

As I live in the southern U.S. people often call each other "sir" or "ma'am" often. It's still expected for young people to refer to their elders as such.

The plural is sometimes "y'all". It is a myth that anyone would every refer to just one person as "y'all".

It's a mild irritant to hear people refer to a collective group of people - with males and females included - as "you guys".

Referring to older people with any pet names like "honey" or "sweetie" always rings to me as being disrespectful.

I don't much care what people call me. My mother can't remember my name, so why should anyone else .

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top