Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 07:53 AM

Re: Our childhood toys

Another classic sadly engineered out for the sake of fashion.

susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 09:10 AM

:We were a large family of 9 including mum and dad . Toys were a luxury and there were few . I have a memory of a doll I received Christmas day. I cant remember any other toys .

I think because there were 7 kids we played with each other

I'm just remembering my two big brothers had roller skates that I used but they never really fitted me . I was the third born and think I missed out a lot

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by wild blueberry ->
The children today play video games and everything electronic. It was so different when I was a child.......
We dressed up in Mom's long skirts and high heels and put on little concerts for the neighbourhood kids.
We played spin the bottle
Hide and Seek
Baseball
Those were the days........we had a nice life. I don't think I would have been happy being a child in this world of technology..........
I still dress up Blue, but not in Mom's stuff, it's too old fashioned.....

Seriously though; I had two armies of soldiers, the British army and the German army, together with Tanks, Armoured Cars and other assorted army vehicles. We would re enact the second world wars in Dad's garden, which was large with a rockery running all the way down one side. Perfect for an ambush!

I also had a large Meccano Set, but never really took to it though (probably I was a bit too young for it at the time, would have loved it now...) But I loved my Lego. They had just come out and didn't have all the stuff you get with them now. Just bricks and roof tiles, and a brick with holes in for the wheels to fit.....I kept my Lego until I got married and my daughter took over as chief designer.....

Cricket against the gate, or 'Tin Can Tommy' in the street. No problem from the traffic, only two people in the street had a car in those days. The district nurse and an Insurance salesman....Who also had a very kissable daughter......
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 12:49 PM

Hi WB. Growing up with six brothers, I loved playing Marbles on the green with they and their friends. I used to trounce them!! Oh, the beautiful collection of marbles I had.

When playing with my friends however, it was the brilliant game of JACKS that was our favourite. Also Hopscotch on the pavement outside and Rounders played on the green again.

Happy memories.
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
You forgot roller skates, Scooters & Bikes. Though the roller skates were the type you screwed onto your shoes & the scooter was never as elaborate as the modern ones. I also had a basket woven dolls pram at a younger age..
Lovely photo Tiffany
Yes, those prams were so nice. I don't remember having one myself, but I did have a pram (we called them carriages)
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada
wild blueberry is female  wild blueberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I remember playing spin the bottle but that was as a teenager and always seemed to involve kissing a boy!
Yes Annie, and we always had our fingers crossed that it would stop at the boy we wanted to kiss...haha
wild blueberry
Toronto, Canada

20-10-2018, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Beautiful Filly ->
I remember when I was about eight years old and my favourite aunt went to Florida, with two of her sisters. When she returned...she brought me a View Master...with another ten reels... All of the ten, were pictures of wildlife and special places in Florida...

Imagine...I still had it when my kids were young and they too loved using it...
I remember those view masters Filly, they were fun.......
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 02:47 PM

I had a Walkie Talkie Doll he was 2 ft high, used to pull the cord behind her and she would talk.

When I was in Hospital at 3 years old, my Dad asked me what did I want and I said Rubber Goofy, my Dad bought it for me the next day and Goofy was bigger then me, he had really long bendy arms.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I did that too Susie...I can't say the cat loved it though

I loved Mr Golly my golliwog....oops not allowed to say that now.

Sshh Summer . . . I had one too, but don't tell anybody.

Bet no one had a Muffin the Mule stringed puppet - and a metal one at that. None of your plastic stuff then.
I loved him to bits.

(This isn't my one, but a picture I found of Muffin).
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2018, 04:27 PM

My favourite was a Meccano set.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top