Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Teach YOURSELF To Swim - Using The Gravitas Method

Over the years I occasionally hear parents talking about the problems in teaching their children (or kids as we call them these days) to swim. I've even heard some say they spend hundreds of pounds on doing so and a lot of time going to lessons.

I taught myself to swim when I was eight years old. Here's (briefly, for my sake more than yours) how I did it (or done it, as many insist on saying these days):

Stand in the pool away from the bar. Just far enough so you can push yourself off the floor to propel yourself to the bar (to grab hold of it). Now, do the same again but throw in a few superfluous strokes (strokes you don't really need to do to get there). You might not realise it, but you have just swum for the first time.

Congratulations! Do similar a few times and then gradually inch your way further out and repeat.

Happy swimming everyone!
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:06 PM

Re: Teach YOURSELF To Swim - Using The Gravitas Method

By the way my daughter has singed up to 10 group swimming lessons for het 7 month old baby at a cost of £15 for each half hour.

By all means take a baby to the swimming pool as and when, for a bit of a splash about. But lessons? Utterly ridiculous.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:06 PM

Thanks for that Gravitas. I'm sure many will find that invaluable. Of course, some of us learned through a much simpler method, we were pushed in the pool and dragged out with a hook when we started to choke.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:08 PM

Wouldn't work for me i have a morbid fear of water over my face. All stems from nearly drowning at 3 years old in an uncles pond. it was a 5 year old cousin pulled me out so I am told.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:13 PM

I can just see You Gravy in Yer speedos at the pool telling Us all that We're doing it wrong
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thanks for that Gravitas. I'm sure many will find that invaluable. Of course, some of us learned through a much simpler method, we were pushed in the pool and dragged out with a hook when we started to choke.
I was taught to swim by my dad who threw me in at the deep end and then filled up the pool.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I was taught to swim by my dad who threw me in at the deep end and then filled up the pool.

And you 'crawled' out.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:18 PM

This is my baby granddaughter having a swimming lesson and swimming underwater

Small babies having spent 9 months floating in amniotic fluid have no fear of water, that fear comes as they get older.

All 3 of my older grandchildren went to swimming lessons as babies, they are all excellent swimmers.

The latest twin boys now aged 8 months are just starting to learn to swim, they were 4 months old here having their first taste of water in a pool .

Good for your daughter Gravitas for introducing her baby to swimming at a young age.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0483.JPG
Views:	167
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	4832   Click image for larger version

Name:	twins 2017.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	4834  
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

31-12-2017, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
This is my baby granddaughter having a swimming lesson

Small babies having spent 9 months floating in amniotic fluid have no fear of water, that fear comes as they get older.

All 3 of my older grandchildren went to swimming lessons as babies, they are all excellent swimmers. The latest twins aged 8 months are just starting to learn .

Good for your daughter Gravitas introducing her baby to swimming at a young age.
What a lovely picture. She will enjoy seeing that in the future and will enjoy showing it to her first boyfriend.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-12-2017, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
This is my baby granddaughter having a swimming lesson

All 3 of my older grandchildren went to swimming lessons as babies, they are all excellent swimmers. The latest twins aged 8 months are just starting to learn .

Good for your daughter Gravitas introducing her baby to swimming at a young age.
What a fab' Pic Meg,and I agree the earlier They learn the better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top