Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Measurement units

I'm an engineer by profession so units of measure are important for what I do and did. But they are important for all of us. We, UK, have gone from Imperial through various stages to SI units. I guess it's what most think of as metric. But is actually SI, Système Internationale

It is international apart from USA and Myanmar.In engineering, it simplifies calculations. In everyday life, it is a level playing field for international trade, to share recipes, weights, areas of land......the list goes on.

We, in Britain, hang on to our Imperial units. If I buy beer in a pub it is served by the pint - thank you CAMRA - whilst wine is served by the ml. Vehicle fuel is dispensed and charged for by the litre but fuel consumption is in miles per gallon.

I suppose we'll muddle on. Are stones used a a measure of weight anywhere else in the world?
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Re: Measurement units

Rees Mogg will have us going back to Imperial Units.
Slugs and Poundals are so much easier than Kilograms Force and Newtons.
Avoirdupois for ever!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Slugs and Poundals are so much easier than Kilograms Force and Newtons.
Avoirdupois for ever!
Thank God for that. Get away from all this Eurocr@p.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
I'd have to give a severe rap over the knuckles with my cane.....or a swift kick in the goolies with my number 42 steel capped boots.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 01:38 PM

I'll have two pound of apples and a 60 watt bulb please.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

26-09-2018, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I'll have two pound of apples and a 60 watt bulb please.
The watt is an SI unit.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 03:01 PM

Half way through my bricklaying apprenticeship we moved from imperial to metric, and up until I retired we still used a mixture of both, so when I ordered for example timber joists it may have been 20no. 4.2m lengths of 8" x 2" yet fortunately no-one at the timberyard was ever confused...

ETA. Even now frame catalogues sell standard doors in, say, 2'6" x 6'6" x 40mm so not just me.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 04:37 PM

At the end of the day, it's what you're familiar and at ease with.

For linear measurements, for example, I find it easier to visualise feet, inches, yards and miles. However, when I need to be precise for short measurements, I use mm.

I weigh myself in stones and pounds, and a bag of loose sweets will be requested as "a quarter of".

For other things, I end up using both/either Imperial or Decimal units according to the situation.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

26-09-2018, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
At the end of the day, it's what you're familiar and at ease with.

For linear measurements, for example, I find it easier to visualise feet, inches, yards and miles. However, when I need to be precise for short measurements, I use mm.

I weigh myself in stones and pounds, and a bag of loose sweets will be requested as "a quarter of".

For other things, I end up using both/either Imperial or Decimal units according to the situation.
Imperial can be expressed as decimal. Like 4.5 inches. It isn't an either or. But that's not really the point.

SI is, as the name suggests, is international. And there are some units where there is no Imperial equivalent. Like amps, volts, watts etc. Try asking for a 0.08 horsepower bulb instead of 60W. But they are equivalent measures of power.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

26-09-2018, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
The watt is an SI unit.
Well that's good to know. I don't need to worry about shitty lumens.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top