Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:33 PM

Re: Measurement units

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well that's good to know. I don't need to worry about shitty lumens.
They are not comparable. They are measures of different things.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
They are not comparable. They are measures of different things.
Well, I have no desire to be an expert on such things. All I know is, buying a bulb was once easy.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Well, I have no desire to be an expert on such things. All I know is, buying a bulb was once easy.
We seem to have got off track. My point was that SI is simpler.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 08:45 PM

Funnily enough I still use 12 inches as a rule.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 09:03 PM

In lots of ways the duodecimal system was easier, we can all halve linear measurements very accurately by eye.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

27-09-2018, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
In lots of ways the duodecimal system was easier, we can all halve linear measurements very accurately by eye.
Surely if you are doing it by eye measurement units are irrelevant since you are not doing any measuring?

But I do accept that duodecimal did have some merits.
You can do fractions like 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, and 1/12 in your head. And that's fine for pennies and shillings or feet and inches. Not so good for links, chains and furlongs, miles, leagues....

With SI, it is all in metres - m, km, mm etc.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 09:12 PM

Surely if you are doing it by eye measurement units are irrelevant since you are not doing any measuring?

But I do accept that duodecimal did have some merits.
You can do fractions like 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/6, and 1/12 in your head. And that's fine for pennies and shillings or feet and inches. Not so good for links, chains and furlongs, miles, leagues....

With SI, it is all in metres - m, km, mm etc.
Trouble is, you don't always have a ruler to hand.

Unless accuracy is important, the distal section of my thumb is about one inch, the width of my hand is about four inches, the span of my hand (if I don't stretch too much) is about nine inches, and my nose to the end of my outstretched arm is about a yard.
Then, two steps (a pace) is a little over a yard as well, and a thousand paces (mille passim) amounts to about a mile.

It's obvious where the old Imperial measures originated! Not the British Empire, I should add; the Roman Empire.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

27-09-2018, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Trouble is, you don't always have a ruler to hand.
That was kinda my point if you are doing it by eye.

Unless accuracy is important, the distal section of my thumb is about one inch, the width of my hand is about four inches, the span of my hand (if I don't stretch too much) is about nine inches, and my nose to the end of my outstretched arm is about a yard.
Then, two steps (a pace) is a little over a yard as well, and a thousand paces (mille passim) amounts to about a mile.

It's obvious where the old Imperial measures originated! Not the British Empire, I should add; the Roman Empire.
No great disagreement with any of that. Just that SI is so much simpler. You don't need all the conversion factors.

Another example from my field. We used to define output power of electric motors in horse power, an Imperial unit. But you want to calculate what it will draw from your supply. That's in SI units, Amps, Volts and, where applicable power factor.

So the first thing you need to convert HP to kW. A factor of 0.746 is used. Now, if you gave the nameplate output in kW as it is in most of the world, that's one conversion you wouldn't have to do.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 09:57 PM

No great disagreement with any of that. Just that SI is so much simpler. You don't need all the conversion factors.
Oh yes, of course I agree with that.

As I said earlier, I much prefer to use mm for fine detail. Far easier than 3/32nds or 15/64ths of an inch!
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

27-09-2018, 10:06 PM

Oh yes, of course I agree with that.

As I said earlier, I much prefer to use mm for fine detail. Far easier than 3/32nds or 15/64ths of an inch!
So why are we Brits so inconsistent in the units we use?

We buy our fuel in litres, measure our fuel consumption in mpg. The engine capacity is given in litres, the power output in BHP. Tyres are in mixed dimensions for diameter and tread width.

Get a drink for yourself and your wife in a pub - beer in pints, wine in ml.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top