Join for free
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2018, 11:24 PM

Sea Turtles

Have you seen any? For those of you along the coastline, do you see nests where you live?

I've spent the day doing research on Loggerheads. Because so many turtles are threatened or endangered worldwide, there has been some effort to relocate nests to higher ground when they are sure to flood in storms.

Now, the state of Florida is implementing a hands off policy. Because of this new program, the majority of nests at risk of flooding from storms were allowed to do so this season. That means a potential loss of hatchlings in the tens of thousands in the state.

The question I'm looking at is whether or not we are going too far in saying - don't interfere.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 12:59 AM

Re: Sea Turtles

I used to live in the Carribean and saw Turtles all the time .
Goodness only knows if any of the turtles born there will ever find their way back as the coastal development means too many lights which confuse nesting turtles .
I think the nests should be moved if it's the same beach it shouldn't make too much difference I would have thought .
They move turtles a lot in some countries in order to save them from predators both animal and human .
I think you have to make sure sand from where they were laid goes with them .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 01:05 AM

Here is a link to one way of moving nests .
It seem daft to leave them to be lost to floods.

https://turtlesandtides.wordpress.co...a-turtle-nest/
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 03:56 AM

when we were in Brazil we visited a sea turtle rescue centre.

Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 08:26 AM

Sea Turtles are a very rare sighting in British waters, Wales seems to be a place that gets sightings occasionally.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2018, 04:20 PM

Plymouth Aquarium had one for some years. She couldn't be returned to the wild because of all her health issues. She was rescued in Wales.

http://www.national-aquarium.co.uk/e...y-passed-away/
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2018, 04:30 AM

Realspeed, those are young turtles. How wonderful!

How interesting, Tiffany. We have a rehabilitation center too. I helped deliver some when we have had rare freezing temperatures her.

When I was surfing in Hawaii this summer, turtles close to three feet across kept swimming up to my daughter, another surfer, and me, curious as to what we were doing. They were literally, everywhere.

I have spent summers in the past watching nests at night to be there when they "boiled" or enough hatched to be able to climb out without the sand collapsing back on top of them. We would make small trenches in the sand to help them guide to the sea. I never get through it without tearing up.

Sea turtles are increasingly rare here because of development. Both are losing battles, but I keep fighting nonetheless.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

29-09-2018, 05:25 AM

How lucky you are Surfermom .
I have seen lot s of nests but not when the babies were hatching because of security issues in he Carribean women were not really allowed on the watches unless accompanied by two men and even then it can be iffy . Lots of drug addicts live on the beaches and they can be dangerous .
I have dived and swam with turtles.
The tourist boats go out and feed them every day and they are big . Adults turtles don't usually eat fish -they turn vegetarian when they are grow but these did and hence their size
I once found a sick turtle on the beach and took it home and called the turtle rescue .They took it to the vet but after a few days it has to be euthanised poor thing they did an autopsy on it and it was full of plastic rubbish sadly It had been dying slowly for months it's shell was covered in barnacles not a good sign in turtles -in such ways plastic is killing the oceans and its creatures .
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

29-09-2018, 05:15 PM

Muddy, your experiences are so interesting to read, and the sad demise of the turtle is one of the reasons we pushed to end the use of single-use plastic shopping bags in Hawai'i, and I am supporting that effort here. Too many of the bags end up in the water where the turtles mistake them for jellyfish, one of their favorite meals.

What a shame about the safety conditions on the beaches where you lived! It sounds like it was an otherwise beautiful place to live. I have to say I am never a fan of tourist boats that attract dolphins, rays, turtles, etc. because I think it causes the animals to be very vulnerable and ultimately dependent on humans.

I've been fortunate to participate in nest watching and hatching of several Loggerhead nests, but my favorite was a spontaneous day hatching of a Kemp's Ridley nest that I came across while I was out running. Over eighty had boiled up together and they were running all over the place - though they were thankfully all determined to get to the water. It was so moving to see those babies work so hard to make it to that vast gulf.

I have so much respect for nature.
Katemayor
New Member!
Canada
Katemayor is female 

24-10-2018, 10:31 AM

Thanks for the information on turtles.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top