Join for free
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 08:22 AM

four Day Working Week

The Greens are proposing a four day working week, that's all well and good, but, financial connotations withstanding, why after centuries of hard work, building cultures and society's etc, the ultimate aim is to work less?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 10:19 AM

Re: four Day Working Week

I heard a rough plan about this a few weeks ago.
It's not as it seems apparently as workers will be asked to take shorter tea breaks and less weeks holiday.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 11:35 AM

I can't see any problem with that.

The standard working week in Australia is 38hrs (it's legislated). At my last job they went from 8 hour to 12 hour shifts so the working week was three days (with a training day every 6 weeks.)

Definitely my favourite shift system though the first 12hr night shift seemed to go on for ever you soon got used to it.

Some places work 4 day shifts, 4 days off, 4 nights followed by 4 days off and repeat.

FIFO (fly in fly out) mine workers work strange shifts something like a fortnight with two days off (7days work without a day off is dangerous) then fly home for three weeks.

BTW when I worked in the NSW Electricity Commission in the 1980s we had a 35 hour week but that was the public service.

Horses for courses
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 12:00 PM

A daft idea!
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2018, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I can't see any problem with that.

The standard working week in Australia is 38hrs (it's legislated). At my last job they went from 8 hour to 12 hour shifts so the working week was three days (with a training day every 6 weeks.)

Definitely my favourite shift system though the first 12hr night shift seemed to go on for ever you soon got used to it.

Some places work 4 day shifts, 4 days off, 4 nights followed by 4 days off and repeat.

FIFO (fly in fly out) mine workers work strange shifts something like a fortnight with two days off (7days work without a day off is dangerous) then fly home for three weeks.

BTW when I worked in the NSW Electricity Commission in the 1980s we had a 35 hour week but that was the public service.

Horses for courses
I work a 4+3 system,alternate weeks of 4x12 days,then 3x12 nights Monday to Thursday,why work an extra 52 Fridays or there abouts.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top