Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-06-2014, 04:23 PM

Re: Dog Owners - not dogs

Yes, Yes and more yes, yes, yes to your excellent points.

Compulsory muzzling in public wouldn't have prevented this man's death - as someone has already pointed out the dogs were in their garden and escaped.

I can't see a solution - it's obvious from this thread that the we're responsible dog owners and no matter how we gloat about how wonderful we are with our dogs there's not a jot we can do about the ones that just don't look after theirs.

What really concerns me though is this mass hysteria around dogs - which as I pointed out in an earlier post seems to me to be completely misguided when we're at much greater risk from so many other things in life. First and foremost the man in a 4x4 belting down country lanes near where I live whilst having an argument on his phone ... lovely.

Originally Posted by lovemyboys ->
I'm also against muzzling.
And my dogs are never off leash once we leave our property.
I would never put my dogs in a position where I thought they could harm others, they could harm themselves, or others could harm them.

There's no one simple thing to stop dog attacks.
Education, as mentioned above (sorry, can't remember by whom) is a big start.
Many people get dogs for all the wrong reasons (cute, tough-looking, etc. etc.), having no idea of their temperament, or even how big they will be when fully grown.
Also, dogs are only as well behaved as their owners train them to be. But I've seen many give up after a few tries because the dog is 'just too damn stupid,' and is left in the backyard for the rest of its life, often chained up. Those poor dogs don't have a chance to be good dogs, but have a real chance of being aggressive if left neglected.
So education and training are a must, which responsible dog owners already do.
It's the minority that makes it worse for the majority, as in all walks of life.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 02:22 PM

I have just come home from dog-sitting a distressed Weimaraner. My friends owned two but, sadly, last week the eldest one had to be euthanised due to cancer of the spleen. The younger dog is, naturally, grieving - unfortunately this manifests as high pitched, non-stop howling if he is left alone and one of their neighbours has threatened to report them. So, her partner was at work and my friend need to go the shops, I offered to dog sit.

Although the dog knows me he has never before been left alone in my care, so to avoid any possible accidents, my friend muzzled him before she left. I have never seen a dog so upset. He kept pawing at the muzzle to try and remove it and I was worried that he would take the skin off his nose - Weimaraners have long claws! In the end I could not stand his distress - so removed the muzzle - just kept talking to him and stroking him - and he was fine. Dogs in muzzles? NO!
manasota
South Yorkshire
manasota is male  manasota has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I have just come home from dog-sitting a distressed Weimaraner. My friends owned two but, sadly, last week the eldest one had to be euthanised due to cancer of the spleen. The younger dog is, naturally, grieving - unfortunately this manifests as high pitched, non-stop howling if he is left alone and one of their neighbours has threatened to report them. So, her partner was at work and my friend need to go the shops, I offered to dog sit.

Although the dog knows me he has never before been left alone in my care, so to avoid any possible accidents, my friend muzzled him before she left. I have never seen a dog so upset. He kept pawing at the muzzle to try and remove it and I was worried that he would take the skin off his nose - Weimaraners have long claws! In the end I could not stand his distress - so removed the muzzle - just kept talking to him and stroking him - and he was fine. Dogs in muzzles? NO!
Regardless of the issue of the rights and wrongs of muzzles, I think you should have respected the decision of your friend. Imagine if the dog had then bitten you, how your friend would have felt?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->
Regardless of the issue of the rights and wrongs of muzzles, I think you should have respected the decision of your friend. Imagine if the dog had then bitten you, how your friend would have felt?
People who know dogs take their own chances, if ST had felt threatened I am sure she wouldn't have done it. We are dealing with sentient creatures and have to judge each one as we find them. I think she did the right thing if the dog was distressed.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
People who know dogs take their own chances, if ST had felt threatened I am sure she wouldn't have done it. We are dealing with sentient creatures and have to judge each one as we find them. I think she did the right thing if the dog was distressed.
Thank you.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

06-06-2014, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by manasota ->
I saw a dog in distress and took a calculated risk. If he had bitten me it would have been my fault not his. My friend was OK about it when she returned.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 03:48 PM

What a very sad story. Weimaraners are incredibly sensitive dogs. This poor dog probably thinks that when he is alone they've died too. Poor boy. I do hope he recovers from his grief soon.

How very kind of you to dog sit.

My boy is muzzled trained, simply because his aggression to other dogs is so fast and full-on that we can't let him off the lead unless he is muzzled and even then only ever in remote areas where we can see clearly all entries and exits. Human beings on the other hand he is compelled to kiss and act very stupidly around!

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-06-2014, 03:53 PM

I know how that feels, we could never have let Duncan off his hate of other dogs and sadly people was off the scale, but knowing his background before we got him it was understandable. It's sad they don't enjoy life quite like the others.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top