Join for free
Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2016, 09:49 PM

Re: An Afterlife?

Face it-there is no afterlife. So be kind today who knows what tomorrow will bring.
eyes_of_a_painter
n
eyes_of_a_painter is male  eyes_of_a_painter has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 12:59 AM

Reality check is, that there is a afterlife and all of us here have been born many times. Nature is very wise so we don't remember our past. This is to avoid traumas from a past life. So we all think this is fresh start for us when it is not.

You really have to think what is the purpose for life. A chance happening ? Very very unlikely. Life is all about learning and there is so much to learn because we are so impefect that we live on in many life scenarios.

As Shakespeare said.. " we are all actores in the stage of life and play many a roles
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 01:01 AM

What an excellent thread!

I have discussed this subject with several people some of whom believe in an afterlife and others, like myself, who do not.

One question to which I have never received a convincing answer is, as has been mentioned here, if you go to heaven at what age would you appear to be? Surely, this hypothetical heaven would not be entirely populated by decrepit old people, with a lesser number of younger ones who have died early? And, of the latter category, what if they were severely injured or physically or medically incapacitated as they were when they died?

If heaven is a place of reward, surely new admissions would be given the choice of how they would be allowed to appear, and I'm sure most would opt for something between, say, 20 and 30. Or maybe they wouldn't. I'm not sure.

If there really is a heaven, and assuming you have been 'good enough' to qualify for admission, at what age would you prefer to appear?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
If I went to heaven, would I be allowed to use the occasional swear word? Could I tell a rude joke? Would it be permissible to give a wolf whistle to a pretty angel sitting on a cloud? Would I be sent to hell if I passed wind?
Well if that's the case I'm afraid I wouldn't be of the heavenly host for very long.
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 04:17 AM

My (Viet) wife has all bases covered. She is a, more or less, devout Catholic but believes in both Heaven and reincarnation. Probably something to do with her upbringing as a Buddhist.

The Japanese do it even better. They will say a prayer at the Shinto shrine on their way into a Buddhist temple and are probably a member of a Christian church. The mormons and seven day adventists have a field day over there. I'd have their missionaries knocking on my door at least twice a week, while living there.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 07:50 AM

This is interesting . Oprah Winfrey interviews Betty eadie who had an experience she shares . I bought the book 16 years ago .

The video is a little slow to start but take 30 mins to watch . An interview with liz Taylor is just prior to this but you can fast forward the video .

https://youtu.be/6uUiYFaawTU
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 08:23 AM

I wrote this about 10 years ago, but the sentiments remain.

The road to hell is littered with good intentions. I can’t say that was one of my dear old Grampy’s expressions, after my recent confession that I have been attributing all my wise sayings collected over many years to him.

I have been trying to write a thousand words every day to train myself to write more. I have this need to express myself in ways other than vocal. Alas my voice and confidence are frail.

I have plenty of good intentions but they litter my road to Glory
In a thousand different ways. Broken promises, worthwhile projects not completed, people I failed miserably to contact, I could go on. Places I should have visited & places I should not.

I have dear friend, a retired Anglican Vicar who only preached on hell once to his recollection. He is 89 and just retired for the last time after being called to serve way past the years his contemporaries were expected.

But then he is an exceptional man. I remember this particular sermon and He answered in his own way the vexed question of heaven &hell, who will go there and who will St Peter say “I don’t know you, your name is not in the book of life.

When that day comes who on earth can say what happens in the after life if it exists. Will Christians find themselves in a place in a line next to Hindus Muslims Buddhists et al? How can a loving God of peace and joy permit such a place as hell to exist? Isn’t hell now on earth. Haven't we all our own private hell, tailor made for us and by us.

Look around the world at al the cruelty and unfairness, the violence and selfishness. The obscenely vast wealth enjoyed by so few, sat amidst poverty and suffering on an unimaginable scale.

Footnote; my retired Anglican Vicar friend passed on in the year 2000, so he probably knows the answer now.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
What an excellent thread!

I have discussed this subject with several people some of whom believe in an afterlife and others, like myself, who do not.

One question to which I have never received a convincing answer is, as has been mentioned here, if you go to heaven at what age would you appear to be? Surely, this hypothetical heaven would not be entirely populated by decrepit old people, with a lesser number of younger ones who have died early? And, of the latter category, what if they were severely injured or physically or medically incapacitated as they were when they died?

If heaven is a place of reward, surely new admissions would be given the choice of how they would be allowed to appear, and I'm sure most would opt for something between, say, 20 and 30. Or maybe they wouldn't. I'm not sure.

If there really is a heaven, and assuming you have been 'good enough' to qualify for admission, at what age would you prefer to appear?
JBR heaven or not we know for sure people leave their tangible body here when they die .
Some are cremated some who have been involved in terrible incidents don't actually have a whole body at death so what
appears in heaven could only be an 'image' of the body they had here . If a person's family in heaven had died some years earlier they would be unlikely to recognise other family members so long after assuming they even had the image of a body and not just a spirit in which case appearance and age would be irrelevant.
My Mother only saw me as a tiny baby before she died, she certainly wouldn't recognise me.
My Father married twice, he loved both wives but they knew and disliked each other (my Mothers brother was married to the woman who years later became my stepmother) imagine my poor father in heaven with two wives plus the love of his life whom he met when young and never married.

When I have queried these things with religious people they say something like 'that is a mystery known only to god', that covers a multitude of questions.

A lot of people get comfort from believing in heaven and I wouldn't wish to take that away from them but for me the idea of heaven does not stand up to close scrutiny, the concept is illogical nonsense.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 10:53 AM

If you think about it we are all recycled. Whether buried or cremated, our remains go back into the earth or the atmosphere. We all drink and pass the same water and eat the same nutrients eventually.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2016, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If you think about it we are all recycled. Whether buried or cremated, our remains go back into the earth or the atmosphere. We all drink and pass the same water and eat the same nutrients eventually.
Yes LD 'the circle of life' and going back to the earth is more logical to me than any heaven that is why I am having a simple woodland burial no grave ...

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top