Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 08:51 PM

Re: The curse of Christmas

Sorry it never occurred to me anyone would want to be alone at Christmas, makes me wonder if I have ruined people's Christmases now so I can only apologise if I have
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I guess I will be spending Christmas on my own this year and shall treat it as any other. I'm alone for the other 364 nowadays, so forming the opinion of, what's the difference? I can't be hypocritical and be with family/friends who have let me suffer alone for the most part of this last year.

I'll get one of those frozen turkey breast thingies (Ģ2 - Ģ3 and very tasty), something nice for dessert, and watch a load of crap on the telly!
I understand what you mean Jazzi. Why would you want to be with them that one day? You don't have to put on a face and you can just relax.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:11 PM

I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to spend Christmas alone. I've had a few Christmases on my own and I can handle it without any problem - but the sympathetic glances from those who are 'enjoying their company' used to drive me mad!! Feels like your some kind of freak.
I'm no longer alone at Christmas but really feel for those who actually prefer their own company because it's not easy to do!!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:24 PM

I feel for them too Cranberry. Some people enjoy their own company and a quiet life.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 09:28 PM

When we lived and worked in UK we went away for Christmas and new year, always long distance and we had some wonderful times. If we stayed home we had to go for meals to various family members, I have nothing in common with any of them, then we would feel obliged to invite them to us. When my son was in the army he couldnīt be home for Christmas anyway, when he married it saved any argument about whose parents they were going to, so much easier to go away and leave it all behind. These days we stay home and our friends and neighbours all come here for eating and drinking on Christmas day evening. These are people we like and choose to be with, a real mixture of nationalities, all bring with them a traditional dish from their own country and so far itīs been a lovely and very enjoyable time, chaotic but no stress and lots of fun. This year we will be doing the same. The only awkward situation is the English neighbours to our left, they have fallen out with virtually everyone and those they havenīt managed to fall out with they donīt like so I canīt ask them round because if they came everyone would leave. However they donīt appear to be speaking to me anyway and havenīt done since my birthday party, again the same situation. Itīs a shame really but thatīs how things are, perhaps one day theyīll realise that being tight fisted, knowing better than anyone else, wanting to know everyone`s business and thinking they are way above anyone else soon loses you friends.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2014, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I guess I will be spending Christmas on my own this year and shall treat it as any other. I'm alone for the other 364 nowadays, so forming the opinion of, what's the difference? I can't be hypocritical and be with family/friends who have let me suffer alone for the most part of this last year.

I'll get one of those frozen turkey breast thingies (Ģ2 - Ģ3 and very tasty), something nice for dessert, and watch a load of crap on the telly!
you're not alone in that Jazzi, I'll probably do the same, already bought my chicken stuffed joint as I'm not fond of turkey, I'll cook a proper dinner with Christmas pud for afters and will look forward to watching the Christmas films later with a glass or 4 of Shiraz.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 12:43 AM

[QUOTE=cranberry;571744]I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to spend Christmas alone. I've had a few Christmases on my own and I can handle it without any problem - but the sympathetic glances from those who are 'enjoying their company' used to drive me mad!! Feels like your some kind of freak.
I'm no longer alone at Christmas but really feel for those whctually prefer their own company because it's not easy to do!![/o aQUOTE]

I can understand that Cranberry, but think I feel more sorry for the ones who don't want to be alone, yet are. I think that's really sad.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
you're not alone in that Jazzi, I'll probably do the same, already bought my chicken stuffed joint as I'm not fond of turkey, I'll cook a proper dinner with Christmas pud for afters and will look forward to watching the Christmas films later with a glass or 4 of Shiraz.
Let's both come on here and say hello, on that day!

ETA: my left hand and my right hand may even pull a Christmas cracker.

ETA: I'll let you all know if a miracle happens in the meantime...

Just popped in to the Co-op after the post office and they had that turkey breast roast for Ģ2.15, so that's my meat safely bought! Also got milk, my paper and a french stick and the girl handed my change scrunched up in reams of till paper. A 5p piece went missing, lady next to me picked up my 2p, I caught the 20p, but do you think the assistant would give me another 5p? I confess, I should have asked for another one. Customer and I went out together and she said, 'she's so rude, that one.'

Live and learn. Or not in my case.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 02:08 PM

[QUOTE=Mups;571805]
Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I think a lot of people have a hard time understanding why anyone would want to spend Christmas alone. I've had a few Christmases on my own and I can handle it without any problem - but the sympathetic glances from those who are 'enjoying their company' used to drive me mad!! Feels like your some kind of freak.
I'm no longer alone at Christmas but really feel for those whctually prefer their own company because it's not easy to do!![/o aQUOTE]

I can understand that Cranberry, but think I feel more sorry for the ones who don't want to be alone, yet are. I think that's really sad.
Yes, I think that must be worse.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Having been a single person for many years I have always had great trouble getting through to people that I want and prefer to be alone at Christmas and I am not lonely.
My family don't understand, my neighbours don't understand and thinking I have been abandoned by the family.

I really don't want to spend hours and hours smiling politely and chatting to people with whom I have nothing in common and little interest. I did that for years and now time is running short I want to spend it as I choose and that for me is by being on my own.
I'm exactly the same, Meg, but I think now people understand my feelings about Christmas since in the past I have declined politely any invitations and told friends that I don't "do" Christmas. I love locking the door to the outside world (except for dog walks) and enjoying the peace and quiet of my own company, knowing I won't be disturbed as everyone else is busy (happily or unhappily!) with family and friends.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top