Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Re: The curse of Christmas

Oh, and I agree with Mups that the saddest thing is for those who do NOT want to be alone at Christmas, but who are.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Oh, and I agree with Mups that the saddest thing is for those who do NOT want to be alone at Christmas, but who are.
So very true. There is a world of difference between being content to be alone and feeling lonely.
greg
nottingham-Derby Border
greg is male  greg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Having been a single person for many years I have always had great trouble getting through to people that I want and prefer to be alone at Christmas and I am not lonely.
My family don't understand, my neighbours don't understand and thinking I have been abandoned by the family.

I really don't want to spend hours and hours smiling politely and chatting to people with whom I have nothing in common and little interest. I did that for years and now time is running short I want to spend it as I choose and that for me is by being on my own.
Sod that,im like that for rest of the year,get out there,meet strangers and be loudly honest about everything/them,eat all their posh food,drink all their posh wine and party like the world ends the day after.
And only then go back to your nice warm peaceful abode.
It also has the effect of making home an even better place to be.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
So very true. There is a world of difference between being content to be alone and feeling lonely.
True.
There are many reasons that people do want to close their doors and not be 'forced' into jollity that they don't feel or want.

Whereas the lonely who would appreciate a cheerful call from a thoughtful neighbor would welcome it.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
True, and sad OG. This is when we should be asking those people to join us. I wonder how many people actually do that - ask people who may be lonely ?
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
True, and sad OG. This is when we should be asking those people to join us. I wonder how many people actually do that - ask people who may be lonely ?
But then how do we know which ones are lonely and who, like Meg, actually want to be alone? Unless I knew someone well I wouldn't risk it, I'd be sure to pick the wrong one!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2014, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
But then how do we know which ones are lonely and who, like Meg, actually want to be alone? Unless I knew someone well I wouldn't risk it, I'd be sure to pick the wrong one!
Me too Cranberry! Honestly though, I'd hate to think I knew anyone who wanted company at Christmas and didn't have it.
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

08-12-2014, 11:46 PM

I agree, I like to be alone with my boyfriend and the cats. All this fake cheer is just annoying.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

09-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Its actual great to be able to actually ENJOY your own company IMO. I've never been one for always having to have someone with me. Think I get that from my dad.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon

11-12-2014, 07:55 PM

One of my sons said again today that he does not like Christmas any more. He's glad to see the back of it. Reason being he spends it with his partner and her family, the parents who fight like cat and dog all year and on Christmas day he says it just like one big happy family and it's a farce. He'll go, and put a face on, but he loathes it. Funny what Christmas brings out in people, isn't it?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top