Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 01:52 PM

Re: Driving speeds

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I don't think that's the case, a 70mph zone means that's the limit and not that you have to keep to that speed, if anyone crashes into them then they are responsible, they could easily have overtaken the vehicle if need be
The driver of the 40mph car is guilty of "Driving in a manner likely to cause danger to other road users." If that accident happens in an overtaking lane, further offences can be added.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
The driver of the 40mph car is guilty of "Driving in a manner likely to cause danger to other road users." If that accident happens in an overtaking lane, further offences can be added.
Tell that to milk floats etc you have to be ready to slow or stop there could be any number of hazards or reasons a vehicle is driving slowly in front of you. If you can't slow or stop IMO you are not driving for the road conditions and need to put your foot on the brake a bit.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 02:03 PM

any car that hits another from behind imo is at fault, taking into account road conditions you should be aware of both the breaking and stopping distances for safety reasons
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Tell that to milk floats etc you have to be ready to slow or stop there could be any number of hazards or reasons a vehicle is driving slowly in front of you. If you can't slow or stop IMO you are not driving for the road conditions and need to put your foot on the brake a bit.
Milk floats (the traditional kind) have a legal maximum speed well below 40mph.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 02:12 PM

Milk floats (the traditional kind) have a legal maximum speed well below 40mph.
I know (husband was a milkman for 17 years) I don't see what your point is though as you would hit the rather robust structure (CAST IRON) at your 70 mph and do yourself a worse injury than if you hit a car.
Fender Bender
By the pc

14-12-2014, 02:20 PM

The point I am making is that a milk float is an easily noticed vehicle. Therefore, it should be expected that it will be driving slower, stop frequently, etc.

The point was also in regard to the 40mph/70mph accident.

One other thing that people are not aware of. Some road vehicles are legally exempt from speed limits.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-12-2014, 02:29 PM

The speed limits can be 'ignored' if to adhere to them would hinder the use of the vehicle for a police purpose
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-12-2014, 02:43 PM

The point I am making is that a milk float is an easily noticed vehicle. Therefore, it should be expected that it will be driving slower, stop frequently, etc.

The point was also in regard to the 40mph/70mph accident.

One other thing that people are not aware of. Some road vehicles are legally exempt from speed limits.
You have an odd idea about milk floats, they travel to and from their rounds on often quite fast roads and even more often smaller country roads where unless you can see around bends you have no idea what is ahead. Number of times my husband felt a familiar crunch as some faster driver crumpled their car under his van and some didn't come out of the incident in one piece. Never was his fault the driver behind is always at fault if the run into someone.
Fender Bender
By the pc

14-12-2014, 02:54 PM

You have an odd idea about milk floats, they travel to and from their rounds on often quite fast roads and even more often smaller country roads where unless you can see around bends you have no idea what is ahead. Number of times my husband felt a familiar crunch as some faster driver crumpled their car under his van and some didn't come out of the incident in one piece. Never was his fault the driver behind is always at fault if the run into someone.
Have we got our wires crossed here? A milk float is an electric vehicle, not, for example, a Ford Transit modified to carry milk.. (IMHO, of course)
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

14-12-2014, 02:59 PM

<sigh> I think we are flogging a dead horse on this one Julie, FB is never going to accept others may be right and he is possibly wrong, not in a month of Sundays

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top