Join for free
Page 13 of 18 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Have a look at Settings/Apps/Default Apps to set your email/browser/photo-viewer/audio-video players .....
I had a look, but everything is set as I want.

Email = Google Chrome
Web Browser = Google Chrome

Cortana still opens web pages in Edge!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Email = Google Chrome

I disabled Cortana some time ago, just by flicking a switch - apparently, that's not possible anymore and the registry has to be edited .....

I'll have a look at my 'reset' Laptop PC to see how that's set up, since W10 was "reloaded" by Reset.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by JBR ->

Email = Google Chrome

On my laptop, I have disabled Cortana:

How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/fea...ows-10-1683223

but Search still connected to Bing/Edge - I tried a couple of methods to stop that but they failed .....

Over to mart .....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I'm not finding Windows 10 too bad to work with, one or two little gripes but sometimes us old timers don't like change, and once we get used to something it can turn out to be better than the old one.

What I don't like though is the thought that I've only rented windows 10 off microsoft and they have total control of my computer.....

I found a form in the settings last night that actually asks me note the times I will be using the computer so they can schedule the updates around me.....WHAT!
That settings thing, I think is a good idea no point in working with a computer as slow as a wet weekend because it is updating, but of course you can disable updating altogether if you wish.

It doesn't worry me, apps on your phone and tablet update themselves almost constantly, it is the way of the world now but hardly different to installing massive Service Packs as we had to before.

One thing I did when I first got Windows 10 was install Classic Shell so it had the familiar Windows 7 start menu.

http://www.classicshell.net/

They have stopped developing it now but it still works fine.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
On my laptop, I have disabled Cortana:

How to Disable Cortana on Windows 10

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/fea...ows-10-1683223

but Search still connected to Bing/Edge - I tried a couple of methods to stop that but they failed .....

Over to mart .....
When using the search icon, by default, the results include files/items found on the computer plus related links that lead to pages on the Internet. These pages will have been found by Bing and they will open in Edge. That's just the way things are if left alone.

To prevent this behaviour, I have used both of the Registry files mentioned in post 102. Using these saves following the often long and diverse path to the relevant places in the Registry and entering keys and values manually.

Once the Registry has been changed, clicking on the search icon and performing a search only brings results from what's on the computer with no Internet links involving Bing, Edge or other browser. If I want search results from the Internet, I'll open a browser of choice (Firefox in my case) and use that.

I don't know if that quite covers what anyone might want to do but I hope it does.

If you need a perhaps better way of searching the computer for files/items, there's no need to use the provided search function at all. There's a search tool called 'Everything' by Void Tools. It's lightening fast at finding anything on the computer. It's also free and doesn't even have to be installed because there's a portable version.

https://www.voidtools.com/
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That settings thing, I think is a good idea no point in working with a computer as slow as a wet weekend because it is updating, but of course you can disable updating altogether if you wish.

It doesn't worry me, apps on your phone and tablet update themselves almost constantly, it is the way of the world now but hardly different to installing massive Service Packs as we had to before.

One thing I did when I first got Windows 10 was install Classic Shell so it had the familiar Windows 7 start menu.

http://www.classicshell.net/

They have stopped developing it now but it still works fine.
Thanks for the info Bruce it will be a future consideration.
I don't mind windows 10 at all, in fact I could grow to like it, I haven't come across a problem that I haven't been able to sort out yet...
Being an old bloke I don't like change....... I accept that things move on (technologically) and am quite prepared to try out new ideas and methods.

I don't even mind sharing my data with microsoft, after all, I'm not doing anything illegal on my computer or attempting copyright theft.
What I don't like, is once I've familiarised myself with a new system and developed an optimum way of using it, only to find that following a burst of updates I have to start all over again because it isn't how I left it.

I'm wasting time buggering about with the computer instead of getting any work done.
So I would appreciate it if microsoft would leave things as they are, we shouldn't have to compromise any computer time waiting for god knows what updates to load. I'm perfectly happy with the way things are.....

I've searched round the gubbins and failed to see any signs of being able to disable updates Bruce, and may I draw your attention to the T&C's that must be signed before being able to use windows 10.....In particular paragraph 6 Updates.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2018, 10:29 PM

I made this video for my seniors a couple of years ago (I presume it still works)

I agree that it is annoying when a big upgrade has changed back to default settings but if that is all you have to worry about in life then life is pretty sweet.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 01:00 PM

Unfortunately when I open my start menu, it looks like this Bruce.....

Sorry it's a bit small.
But there is no 'All Programmes' listed in the menu...
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-11-2018, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
When using the search icon, by default, the results include files/items found on the computer plus related links that lead to pages on the Internet. These pages will have been found by Bing and they will open in Edge. That's just the way things are if left alone.

To prevent this behaviour, I have used both of the Registry files mentioned in post 102. Using these saves following the often long and diverse path to the relevant places in the Registry and entering keys and values manually.

Once the Registry has been changed, clicking on the search icon and performing a search only brings results from what's on the computer with no Internet links involving Bing, Edge or other browser. If I want search results from the Internet, I'll open a browser of choice (Firefox in my case) and use that.

I don't know if that quite covers what anyone might want to do but I hope it does.

If you need a perhaps better way of searching the computer for files/items, there's no need to use the provided search function at all. There's a search tool called 'Everything' by Void Tools. It's lightening fast at finding anything on the computer. It's also free and doesn't even have to be installed because there's a portable version.

https://www.voidtools.com/
It occurred to me that I could just delete both Bing and Edge. Unfortunately, neither appear in the list in Programmes and Features.

Still, I would if I could, as I never use either of them.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-11-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I made this video for my seniors a couple of years ago (I presume it still works)

Yes, it still works... for a time.

I did it, but the next thing I knew was, several weeks later, Microsoft had managed to undo my setting and was happily installing a Windows Update.

The only thing that has worked - so far - is stating that my computer is on a metered connection for the internet.

Page 13 of 18 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top