Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

We keep being advised by people in the media to switch power suppliers to save money. I did just that and didn't seem to save anything has anyone managed to switch and save..

I have just switched again from Scottish Power (who were the first to put up their prices this time around ).

I had an on line account paying monthly, no bills no paper work.
I telephoned Scottish Power last year and spoke to someone about 'signing up' to a discounted tariff which runs until March 2012 and I thought I had done just that but it seems that was not the case and I am on an ordinary tariff after all.

I think the whole privatised utilities business is a farce, you need to be a maths expert to compare all the complicated tariffs ..
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Re: Energy Bills/switched power suppliers.

We are with Eon with a dual fuel account. Last year we got onto their Online 8 tarriff, which effectively saved us more than 25% on the year before. For some reason they've discontinued it now and put us on their new best tarriff, which will put 20% back on!
Still better than any of the competition though methinks......
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2011, 07:14 PM

I am with you I tried to figure it out last year when I had tme recouping from my hysterectomy and gave up and stayed where I was, all very very confusing.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
We are with Eon with a dual fuel account. Last year we got onto their Online 8 tarriff, which effectively saved us more than 25% on the year before. For some reason they've discontinued it now and put us on their new best tarriff, which will put 20% back on!
Still better than any of the competition though methinks......
I don't have duel fuel, there is no gas down here in the fields and deals tend to be not so good for single fuel.

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
I am with you I tried to figure it out last year when I had tme recouping from my hysterectomy and gave up and stayed where I was, all very very confusing.
Kazz I think that is the general idea, make things as complicated as possible so people can't make clear comparisons . I understand that is going to change soon but the regulator has been very slow to do anything about it.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2011, 11:36 AM

What gets me is those uniformed men with clipboard and pen out knocking on the door saying 'Morning, electric company here'. I automatically think they've come to read the meter. Not so, just trying to sell me electric from their own supplier.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

25-06-2011, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Has anyone switched power supplier and saved money ? ..
Yes , twice .

Also someone told me that for £3 you can keep a large family supplied with water ... So i`m gonna be switching suppliers of that too ............ LOLOLOL

rueben
lancs uk
rueben is female  rueben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-06-2011, 08:59 AM

Quite a few people seem to be switching back to solid fuel and wood burning stoves for their domestic heating not sure how that compares with running costs of gas or electric!
aitch
Wigan
aitch is male  aitch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2011, 10:11 AM

I am with British Gas, and have been years, I'm not going to make excuses for it and I wont be changing, but here's the thing, yesterday I received my quarterly bill, with a letter stating that in August prices are going to rise substantially, and giving me a month to freeze my prices at today's rate till march 2013, if this letter goes out to everyone, and everyone took them up on the offer, what would be the point of raising prices, or do they know something we dont, is the energy regulator going to step in as they threatened to do last year, which resulted in a price drop, or what !! ???
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

19-07-2011, 10:47 AM

Hi Aitch I have just signed up to freeze the amount I pay till next July.
I suppose if you look at it logically, with so many different companies around and people switching suppliers all the time, when people sign up for a set period of time the company is guaranteed their custom and it makes it easier to calculate projected profits .
I guess if enough people signed up they may not have to rise prices quite so much in future to maintain profit margins

I don't think the regulator will do much at all , they haven't in the past and seem pretty toothless to me..
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

19-07-2011, 01:03 PM

Is that British Gas price fix offer subject to paying an extra premium up front? or have I got it wrong?

I am sure I read that customers who wanted as price freeze had to pay for it, which all seems a bit odd.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top