Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 10:31 AM

Re: New Bank Cards

What's to stop a thief using it countless times, for purchases under £20? Are there restrictions for the authorised card holder anyway?
Deb W
Hereford
Deb W is female  Deb W has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 10:32 AM

We got sent them last month, but we're not happy about the potential for fraud so asked our bank (Santander) to change them for regular debit cards (our local branch said we could do this but would have to go to a main branch). But when we tried, we were told it's not possible, they can only be changed to Electron cards, which aren't accepted so readily.

The bank worker we were dealing with did point out that in our part of the world (Herefordshire) there are hardly any contactless machines - they're of more practical use in cities such as London and Birmingham. She was a bit shocked when we told her that our little village shop has one!

So we still have the contactless cards, but have no intention of using them, even in places where we could.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 10:40 AM

I don't see the problem, the opportunities for fraud are no greater or less than any other credit card. Much ado about nothing.

I can't wait for the day all my credit cards, club membership cards and travel card are on my phone so I don't have to carry a wallet full of dopy plastic cards. In fact I can't wait for the day my phone is all I need to carry and my wallet becomes a thing of the past..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 11:12 AM

Hmm ... I think I'll stick to cash !
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I don't see the problem, the opportunities for fraud are no greater or less than any other credit card. Much ado about nothing.

I can't wait for the day all my credit cards, club membership cards and travel card are on my phone so I don't have to carry a wallet full of dopy plastic cards. In fact I can't wait for the day my phone is all I need to carry and my wallet becomes a thing of the past..

O.K. until you get your phone nicked Bruce. I lost my phone when I had my bag stolen a while back.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
What's to stop a thief using it countless times, for purchases under £20? Are there restrictions for the authorised card holder anyway?

Good point Jazzi. I would think it must be God's gift to thieves as they wouldn't even have to know the pin number anymore.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2014, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
O.K. until you get your phone nicked Bruce. I lost my phone when I had my bag stolen a while back.
No different to having your wallet or purse stolen except your phone has security built in and it can be located unlike your wallet. A phone is much safer.

Don't tell me you don't have a password/PIN on your phone?

Do you have a password on your wallet/purse/handbag? I think not.

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Hmm ... I think I'll stick to cash !
Once that is stolen it is gone, credit cards are much safer, you are protected against fraud by the bank.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2014, 11:42 PM

Just wish that on yer smart phone, under field conditions, the graphics were that clear when it's raining, it's dark, and you haven't got your reading glasses with you.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

26-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Just wish that on yer smart phone, under field conditions, the graphics were that clear when it's raining, it's dark, and you haven't got your reading glasses with you.
Their biggest drawback is in bright sunlight in my opinion when the screen can be difficult to see however that shouldn't be a problem for this topic because transactions usually take place in doors.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2014, 09:24 AM

I would happily go back to getting cash in a pay packet. Too many people follow my spending pattens using info on my card.

PS. just seen this. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dit-cards.html

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top